Nextflix could soon let you download movies, TV series to watch later offline

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to Netflix you can watch some stellar TV shows like Daredevil , Narcos and Jessica Jones among others. Yes you need a fast and steady Internet connection during your binge watching sessions. But wouldn’t it be great if you could simply download the series (legally!) on your device and watch it later offline? Seems like we soon may be able to.

During the recent earnings call, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings touched upon the topic of offline viewing, saying, “We should keep an open mind on all this… as we expand around the world where we see an uneven set of networks, it’s something we should keep an open mind about,” Tech Insider reports. While it is not a definite yes, it is not a definite no either, and we will take it.

A few months back, offline viewing wasn’t on Netflix’s priority list, since the company’s USP is its online streaming model. But things have changed since then. For one, arch rivals Amazon announced a video streaming service for $8.99 per month, which is cheaper than Netflix, and also offers offline viewing.

More importantly, Netflix is now a global company with operations in 130 countries, and earlier this year, it launched in India as well.

Restrictions on content aside, not all countries have US-like high-speed Internet connections and for them offline viewing will be a boon. In India, heavy mobile data usage is not affordable, and steady Internet connections too aren’t very common.

The ability to download a TV series or episode and watch it later offline will be surely welcomed. A couple of years back, YouTube too launched offline viewing feature in India. Android and iOS users can download a video on their device, and within 48 hours can watch it offline as many times they want without the need for an Internet connection.

A similar feature, but maybe without the time restriction would be a great feature on Netflix. Before a trip, you can simply download and keep all the episodes on your tablet and watch them all without having to worry about network connectivity when on the move.

During the recent quarterly earnings, Netflix said that it had gained 6.74 million new memberships — 2.23 million in the US and 4.51 million internationally. Going forward, analysts expect Netflix to add around 500,000 members in the US, and over 2 million globally in the second quarter.

Nextflix could soon let you download movies, TV series to watch later offline | Latest Tech News, Video & Photo Reviews at BGR India

Even if they provide this, lot of space will be needed for storing those high quality movies. I wish they do something like wynk music which doesn't occupy any space on the device for the downloaded songs.

ilikered said:
Even if they provide this, lot of space will be needed for storing those high quality movies. I wish they do something like wynk music which doesn't occupy any space on the device for the downloaded songs.
Then where does it store the songs. If its not stored in the device we cant call it downloaded.

sagar.patnaik said:
Then where does it store the songs. If its not stored in the device we cant call it downloaded.

Yes, Youtube Offline Videos are also stored in Phone memory.

sagar.patnaik said:
They are giving 4GB storage. You can listen to those songs without internet.

ilikered said:
They are giving 4GB storage. You can listen to those songs without internet.
I have further researched on this guys. I was wrong. They are storing it on the device but we couldn't see them.

Tata Sky provide download facality on Mobile but it takes too much space :s

ilikered said:
I have further researched on this guys. I was wrong. They are storing it on the device but we couldn't see them.
It is visible to me bro,see the amount of memory Wynk is using,App size is just 27 MB will Data size is about 800 MB
d49335d5803767550fb587d8f8c73c53.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock