My Experience with Jio AirFiber

Prithi Deb

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have been using Jio AirFiber for the last 3 weeks. And here are my impressions and experiences.

Booking:

I applied for the connection on 6th December. I didn't pay the ₹100. After entering the address when it asked me to pay the amount, instead of paying, I clicked the "Know More" option. The next day (7th December), I got a call from representative and he asked for the address. After a couple of hours they visited my house. After they arrived, they checked the network quality using the "NetVelocity" app. After that they completed the KYC and asked me to complete the payment.

Plan:

I opted for the ₹599 - 30 mbps - 6 months plan. Including the installation charge of ₹1000, it costed me ₹5240.90. While payment, I opted for 6 Months EMI through credit card. After interest, it's costing me ₹914.57 per month. After the 6 months period, it will cost ₹706.82.

UsYCOGC.jpg

Installation:

Same day during the evening I got an SMS that the installation has been scheduled for the next day at 3:00PM. They next day (8th December), I got call from the installation guys at 11:00AM itself. And they arrived at around 01:30AM. The installation took around 4 hours due a delay from Jio's end, due to which it was taking time for activation. After the successful activation, they gave a tutorial on how to use the Set Top Box.

mlpQB95.jpg

KkCaEEu.jpg

zzb82No.jpg

Speed:

The speeds have been really good. I am getting what was promised. Unlike fixed broadband, there's a delay in speed capping. When you start a speed test or start a download, the speed is uncapped for a few seconds. After that it gets capped to 30 mbps. Due to this, while streaming you always get more than 30 mbps.
I was worried if 30 mbps will be enough to consume content on other devices while someone's watching Live TV. But I faced zero issue. No slowdowns.

pGDTTfe.jpg

DJ8qm1G.jpg

Set Top Box:
The Android Set-Top Box is really good. Very snappy and lag-free. After using it, when I went back to Fire TV Stick, it felt super slow and unusable. Navigation through voice control is amazing. Initially, I was really worried if my parents will be able to navigate through the UI and tune it to what they want to watch. But they got familiar to it very easily within just a couple of days. They use the voice control to find what they want to watch. My father likes to watch documentary. Earlier he used to switch through the channels and look for what to watch. But now he uses Discovery+, Hotstar and Docubay to watch what he wants.
There are some issues. The volume buttons on the remote suddenly stops working. To make it work, one has to press the OK button to trigger the UI and then use the volume button. Also, sometimes the JioStore refuses to open.

vtnsPL8.jpg

fsKXIbF.jpg

Downtime:

I haven't faced any downtime as such. But during my usage maybe 2 or 3 times the internet stopped and the red light started blinking in the router. But it got fixed within 30 second every time. So no issue. Maybe the router has been configured to restart once every now and then.

Some random issues:

I experienced maybe 3 or 4 times. During evening, YouTube and some other random website becomes super slow. It stays slow for around 30 minutes to 1 hour. Connecting to the VPN fixes this issue. I haven't faced this issue from last week.

I am unable to use the JioFixed Voice number. When I try to login through Jio Voice app, it says that I am not using Jio network.

VPN:
I saw many people saying that it doesn't support VPN. This is not true. VPN works fine. I use ProtonVPN. I have also tested Cloudfare 1.1.1.1.

Data Usage:
This much data has been used so far in current billing cycle (from 11th December). Includes 3-4 hours of Live TV viewing daily.
hw0LfuZ.jpg

There was no heavy usage this month from my side. Will have to see another 2-3 months to get a better idea. Earlier during heavy usage it usually goes above 1TB. Now even Live TV is included. Let's see if 1000 GB is enough.

Conclusion:

I think I wrote everything I wanted to say. If I remember something, then I'll edit the post.

So, overall I can say that I am happy with Jio AirFiber so far. I was really worried while taking the connection due to all the negative review. Hopefully this experience continues.

Do ask if there's any questions.

I'm using Jio air fiber since last 3 months and I'm frustrated with their services.

For 2 months I hardly able to use internet and TV set top box.
I had raised multiple tickets but their engineers couldn't able to fix the issues. They spent hours at my home but no luck.
After 2 months they replaced router with new one with latest firmware. It fixed most of the issues but I'm still facing issue with the speed and reliability. Net is down for hours everyday. So I took backup local ISP internet.

Even VPN also still not working on Jio. I'm using Cisco VPN because my company is using it.

I recommend new customers if they plan to install Jio air fiber is to first atleast thorough test for 1 day before paying and committing and plan.

I'm now stuck to use their pathetic services as I paid for 12 months plan. And they are not refunding even for remaining 9 months.

Not expected this kind of services from Jio.

I took 100mbps 12 month plan in October when it was launched and when they had mentioned everywhere that it has UNLIMITED DATA. Trust me the usage that you see now was earlier shown as UNLIMITED DATA and I even have proof of same of MyJio App. Later they made changes to plan with 1TB as high speed data. And when I told them I was given false commitments from sale team and I need to cancel and get back my refund they denied saying there is no such provision. From my experience 1 TB is not at all enough when it comes to high usage. My local ISP was giving me 300mbps UNLIMITED DATA in 10k annual. But thought of using this to get LiveTV and other OTT subscriptions. I won't suggest anyone from high usage to go for it. Jio Fiber is way better with 3.3TB of high speed data limit.

I am using JioAir Fiber for 1.5 months, without any single issue.

I was actually looking for JioFiber for last 2 years, of course just for the OTT benefits. Jio AirFiber is NOT my priority as I already have Local Fiber and BSNL for BroadBand with BackUp respectively (Ironically backup BSNL has the most number of downtime comparing all - still using that for the 35 year old LandLine number). Local BB is from my friend, who has already provided Wireless BB as backup in case of fiber cable cut. The plan is 200Mbps for Rs999, using Airtel Backend. So I neither need high speed (which is 100Mbps) nor the reliability (comparing frequent cable cuts) of Jio Air Fiber. Since, Jio is NOT at all providing Fiber in our street (BSNL and LocalBB got everyone already), I have no other choice but to take Air Fiber connection for the OTT benefits.

I have also taken 599 plan with 30Mbps speed. Jio Tower is just stone throw away distance from my home and there is 100% line of sight. Hence I am getting minimum 600Mbps speed inside my home, but upload speed rarely touches 100Mbps. So it is useless to get 100Mbps connection. I have opted one year plan to avoid the Rs1000 deposit. The installation guys promised extra one month FREE (total 13 months), but it was a LIE. I got this for the TV and my parents' WiFi use.

My observations:-
01 - Set top box and its sw is superb, it even shows the battery level of the remote control. Only issue is sw can't detect thumb drive connected in USB port. (May be my device issue)
02 - WiFi range is surprisingly good and the modem is WiFi 6 one.
03 - Live TV is very good. But my mom loves watching Local channels in Cable TV, so I have to pay both for now. But for everyone else, you can cut the Cable TV connection. Picture clarity is much better here.
04 - Speed is 32Mbps, Up and down always (30Mbps plan). No problem playing 4K content, with already 2-3 people using the WiFi.
05 - Data Limit of 1000GB is ok for us. Our last month usage was around 400 GB only in-spite of all YT and other Live TV and OTT usage - mainly because it is not the primary connection.
06 - Modem / Router has to be restarted once every day or two. But since we are in TN, our daily power cuts (even though for few minutes) take care of it.
07 - Kindly avoid going for 100 Mbps plan. You will not get 100Mbps upload speed. Further 1000GB in 100Mbps flies way more faster if number of devices connected are more.
08 - This is best suited as BackUp connection, as there is no worry of fiber cable cuts.
09 - Not suitable for main / solo connection, especially when more 5G users connects to tower and of course the 1000GB limit.
10 - Problems 07 & 09 will be sorted out if Jio Towers start firing mmWaves (and lets hope it comes with more data limit by then)

I am using JioAir Fiber for 1.5 months, without any single issue.

I was actually looking for JioFiber for last 2 years, of course just for the OTT benefits. Jio AirFiber is NOT my priority as I already have Local Fiber and BSNL for BroadBand with BackUp respectively (Ironically backup BSNL has the most number of downtime comparing all - still using that for the 35 year old LandLine number). Local BB is from my friend, who has already provided Wireless BB as backup in case of fiber cable cut. The plan is 200Mbps for Rs999, using Airtel Backend. So I neither need high speed (which is 100Mbps) nor the reliability (comparing frequent cable cuts) of Jio Air Fiber. Since, Jio is NOT at all providing Fiber in our street (BSNL and LocalBB got everyone already), I have no other choice but to take Air Fiber connection for the OTT benefits.

I have also taken 599 plan with 30Mbps speed. Jio Tower is just stone throw away distance from my home and there is 100% line of sight. Hence I am getting minimum 600Mbps speed inside my home, but upload speed rarely touches 100Mbps. So it is useless to get 100Mbps connection. I have opted one year plan to avoid the Rs1000 deposit. The installation guys promised extra one month FREE (total 13 months), but it was a LIE. I got this for the TV and my parents' WiFi use.

My observations:-
01 - Set top box and its sw is superb, it even shows the battery level of the remote control. Only issue is sw can't detect thumb drive connected in USB port. (May be my device issue)
02 - WiFi range is surprisingly good and the modem is WiFi 6 one.
03 - Live TV is very good. But my mom loves watching Local channels in Cable TV, so I have to pay both for now. But for everyone else, you can cut the Cable TV connection. Picture clarity is much better here.
04 - Speed is 32Mbps, Up and down always (30Mbps plan). No problem playing 4K content, with already 2-3 people using the WiFi.
05 - Data Limit of 1000GB is ok for us. Our last month usage was around 400 GB only in-spite of all YT and other Live TV and OTT usage - mainly because it is not the primary connection.
06 - Modem / Router has to be restarted once every day or two. But since we are in TN, our daily power cuts (even though for few minutes) take care of it.
07 - Kindly avoid going for 100 Mbps plan. You will not get 100Mbps upload speed. Further 1000GB in 100Mbps flies way more faster if number of devices connected are more.
08 - This is best suited as BackUp connection, as there is no worry of fiber cable cuts.
09 - Not suitable for main / solo connection, especially when more 5G users connects to tower and of course the 1000GB limit.
10 - Problems 07 & 09 will be sorted out if Jio Towers start firing mmWaves (and lets hope it comes with more data limit by then)
If it's just for the OTT benefits, Tata Play Binge works out cheaper, no?

If it's just for the OTT benefits, Tata Play Binge works out cheaper, no?
Tata Play Fiber is available in Just 1 City in entire state of TN (Chennai) and that too in 1% of the Area there, afaik. Come on bro, here in our area even Jio is not ready to provide fiber services, let alone Tata Play.

Problems 07 & 09 will be sorted out if Jio Towers start firing mmWaves (and lets hope it comes with more data limit by then)
Don't expect mmWave. In Chennai and Hyderabad they started installing Mimosa A6 8x8 WiFi antennas to provide AirFiber max connections instead of mmWave. Jio gonna be new tikona but can be expecting speeds upto 1Gbps because of 160MHz Channel BW and Mimo

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock