My Jio AirFiber experience in a remote village area

Surajbr

Reaction score
Hi Guys, here is my Jio airfiber experience:
I have an airtel xstream 1gbps connection in Bangalore which I get it for free under Airtel employee benefits, which is amazing and get speeds around 600-650Mbps on wifi 6 router and 900mbps on lan.

IMG-4408.png

However in my hometown which is a rural area with dense plantations there is no fiber availability and hence I was using TP link mr600 with external lpda antenna and mounted it on terrace with direct line of sight with tower which is approximately 4km away and used a jio postpaid sim with 599 unlimited data plan, the speed i used to get after locking the band in router to band 40 was around 30-50Mbps and 2-3Mbps upload and night download would go up to 80Mbps, TP link mr600 with external antenna performed exceptionally well as it was a 4g+ router, there was never a downtime or ping loss although ping was 50-60ms nor any performance issues and met all my WFH and entertainment needs and also Jio was giving unlimited data with 599 postpaid plan.

IMG-4410.png

And now why did I upgrade to Jio airfiber?
One day I just wanted to test if I get 5g signal or not because my tower is 4km away with dense plantations in between so was curious to test the signal , so I went to my terrace where Lpda antenna for 4g were installed and for my surprise I got 5g signal that too n78 band , it took me by surprise and when I tested the speeds were around 250-300mbps download and 2-3Mbps upload.

This is when I decided to go for Jio Airfiber as I was curious to test the functionality and also I thought its value for money and I needed a WiFi 6 router to cover my entire house of 4000sqft, I booked Airfiber 100Mbps connection giving nearby tower location and got the connection installed on February 7th and here are my views on it:
1)As soon as the connection was installed the first day speeds were 95Mbps download and 5-6Mbps upload which was ok considering the tower distance, but the same day night from 9pm to 11pm the internet completely stopped working like 0kbps though there was green light.
2) during day times the speed was consistent but used to have frequent internet disconnections during team meetings video calls which was really frustrating and when you do the speed test speeds were normal then I realised it’s packet loss issue
3) these issue remained for a week until the router got updated itself to 1.9.1 version thereafter most of the speed related issues were resolved expect the packet loss issue during meetings
4) now I get consistent speed of 90-93mbps download and 5-6Mbps upload (i know its bad considering tower distance its fine ) also I did a speedtest near the tower and upload speeds are max 40-45Mbps, may be n78
band limitations or jio needs to optimise on Nokia sites. erricson sites give 100mbps upload.
Also according to me Jio needs to optimise their n78 band a lot for seamless connectivity and no packet loss nonetheless I'm satisfied with Jio airfiber especially for a place like mine where there is no fiber footprint and where I'm able to enjoy the latest 5g speeds.

Few things i need to ask experts here:
1) strangely whenever I do speedtest i get max speed of 93.38 Mbps only why is that? How is Jio capping the speed? Is it on the basis of RSSI? The same location I get 250-300 mbps in 5g phone with rssi 100dbm
2) I have logged into odu connecting the lan and have seen signal properties but I need a way to monitor signal properties without disconnecting internet, is there any way? Has anyone tried it?
3) any suggestions to improve upload speed through CA? I doubt CA on uploads

Outdoor antenna:
IMG-3849.jpg

Speed tests done on Jio home application (you can run tests remotely from any location):
PS: if you observe speed capping happens at 93.38 Mbps only why is that?

IMG-4407.png

IMG-3975.jpg

Did you manually shifted to your home from that location, including outdoor odu?
I booked Airfiber 100Mbps connection giving nearby tower location and got the connection installed

@saketk11 no I didn’t shift anything they installed at my location only, only thing is it wasn’t marking the building while booking since my location wasn’t serviceable so chose a random building near the tower and Jio guys had to go their to mark the location and then start the process.

@saketk11 no I didn’t shift anything they installed at my location only, only thing is it wasn’t marking the building while booking since my location wasn’t serviceable so chose a random building near the tower and Jio guys had to go their to mark the location and then start the process.
Bro, i think that's not issue, if ur getting good coverage in mobile means issue in antenna or they not fix the antenna for proper coverage, write email to appellate officer & nodal officer along with jio simcard speed test result & also send Twitter dm

@Vicky
I don’t have issue with speed , upload speeds I get in mobile is only 2Mbps where as in air fiber its at-least 5-6Mbps, only concern is download speed always max’s out at 93.38Mbps everytime!

Bro, i think that's not issue, if ur getting good coverage in mobile means issue in antenna or they not fix the antenna for proper coverage, write email to appellate officer & nodal officer along with jio simcard speed test result & also send Twitter dm
You misunderstood what @Surajbr wanted to convey. Let me try rephrasing it with some more details.

Jio maintains its own database for each and every buildings and whether a building is Fiber or AirFiber ready or not. While societies easily get their building ID made due to huge number of houses, individual houses or bungalows do not get the building ID assigned unless Jio does a re-survey of that area. There is a dedicated team on Jio that plans and creates the building IDs. Since the Jio Fiber/AirFiber technicians aren't able to do that, they (the technicians) simply go to another nearest location which is AirFiber ready and take that building ID to install the AirFiber on the customers' desired location.

The above is not possible in the case of Jio Fiber (optical fiber) since there are more complications such as FAT box (S2) availability. However, AirFiber works on 5G technology, so the Jio installers are using other building IDs and installing it on different buildings where building ID is not created or unavailable on Jio's map.

I hope my above message clears your and @saketk11 doubts.

@Bapun exactly, thanks for clarifying it to everyone.
Also I’m looking for a method to login to ODU with active internet connection if anyone has an idea please share.

I hope my above message clears your and @saketk11 doubts.
thanks i got it.
from image it looks like this is square shape antenna odu and not
dish shaped which jio is providing with max connection.

Does Dish shaped odu is one which can handle speed of 1gbps and require more tools for alignment.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock