If Board is happy with my performance it can hire me: Shastri

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Ravi Shastri, who was team director of Team India till the World T20 in March, has revealed he is interested in continuing. But the former India captain refused to comment with regards to applying for the job again, when the Board of Control for Cricket in India plans to put up advertisements for the position of coach next week.

Shastri, who was appointed in 2014, had been in charge for 18 months, and took the team to the top of Test rankings, though Australia have since overtaken Virat Kohli & Co. His contract, along with his support staff — Sanjay Bangar, Bharathi Arun and R Sridhar — ended on March 31, and newly-elected BCCI president Anurag Thakur on Sunday said the board would start process of finding new coaching staff before the team departs for West Indies in July. He also said that if Shastri & Co are willing to continue, they had to apply again formally.

“I’ve already told the concerned authorities I would like to continue. If they (BCCI) feel happy with what I’ve done, I’m willing to continue,” Shastri told Express on Thursday.

“I’ve done a good job. When I took charge, I never expected them to deliver on all fronts so soon. I thought it would take some time for these boys to deliver as a unit, but they’ve proved me wrong, and it’s a nice feeling as coach,” he added, crediting the work done by his staff.

“When I mean me, it’s about the other three who have done a tremendous job, as well.”

Under the 53-year-old, the team lost 2-0 away to Australia in 2014-15, but last August, registered their first series victory in Sri Lanka for 22 years, while also handing South Africa their away first Test series defeat in nine years. “It isn’t an easy job, especially because it’s more so public, and you’re under so much scrutiny. I wanted the team to be in a certain position in two years.

And I believe we’ve achieved that, and more. Full credit to players, because they delivered across all formats. They were under lots of pressure, but hungry to perform and show that level of consistency, which shows they’re getting there.”

In limited-overs, the team had a roller-coaster ride, losing away ODI series to Bangladesh and Australia, and at home to South Africa, where pitches came under scrutiny. Now placed fourth in ODIs and second in T20 rankings, Shastri believes the team’s performance in world events showed they can only go higher up. “At the World Cup in Australia, we found unbelievable momentum. We outplayed all teams, apart from the eventual champions (Australia) in the semifinals, and it was a good campaign considering what had happened in the lead up.

I’d no complaints about it, but in the WT20, when we exited in the semifinals, I felt disappointed. In home conditions, we should’ve done more. But again, we lost to eventual champions Windies,” he pointed out.

Kohli batting at different level

Shastri was all praise for Kohli, who since the turn of the year has been in unbelievable form, and is close to becoming the first player to score 1000 runs in an IPL season. Shastri had changed his stance twice — first during the Australia tour in 2014, and then before the Asia Cup — which seems to have worked wonders.

“I’m not surprised by what he is doing. Because I’ve had the chance to see him train from close quarters, and the kind of hard work he puts in, not just during a match, but even during training sessions, is intense. He always takes the field well-prepared. He has the belief that he can be the best in the world, and does all he can to achieve that. Lots of players have the hunger, but he wants to be consistent at the top level, and that’s what is making him deliver day in and day out,” Shastri concluded.

At the World Cup in Australia, we found unbelievable momentum. We outplayed all teams, apart from the eventual champions (Australia) in the semifinals, and it was a good campaign considering what had happened in the lead up. I’d no complaints about it, but in the WT20, when we exited in the semifinals, I felt disappointed.

If Board is happy with my performance it can hire me: Shastri -The New Indian Express

Basil Ak said:
What about Dravid dipayan bro:huh

I think Rahul favours youngsters and is doing well with them. I came to this conclusion bcoz IPL Delhi (and Rajasthan team also) has lots of youngsters. So he should be coach for U-19, just like what he is doing now :)

piinku1 said:
Why he is begging for coaching assignment??
Nobody wants to lose such huge amount of money, that's why!!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock