Discussion General Discussions about streaming services

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 666
  • Views: Views 115,047
I think for a streaming service to be successful, daily new videos should be added. Today I checked big 4 homegrown OTT services, and none of them have anything new today.

Even among the big 2 foreign OTTs, Netflix has only 2 new contents. Prime Video has none (it only has a new movie called "dumbledore" something in their rental store).

And this is where Live TV channels beat OTT platforms. At least they have something new every day.

Also, every OTT platform should have a "Most Recent" button which we can click and view the latest additions. Contents should be arranged by date added. As of now, we have to check OnlyTech forums and other sites to find out which are the latest additions :D

Last edited:
IMO Hotstar & zee5 doing good in content addition and prime is the worst in that having one full year for subscription by not considering product delivery & music 😉

First day of the month, netflix has added about 19 old movies. This practice of adding old movies every first day of the month should be adopted by all platforms.

New video count for June 1 in India:

Netflix: 19 movies + 132 episodes
Prime Video: N/A
Hotstar: 11 episodes
Voot: 4 episodes
Zee5: 6 episodes
SonyLiv: 1 movie + 4 episodes

Last edited:
I think for a streaming service to be successful, daily new videos should be added. Today I checked big 4 homegrown OTT services, and none of them have anything new today.

Even among the big 2 foreign OTTs, Netflix has only 2 new contents. Prime Video has none (it only has a new movie called "dumbledore" something in their rental store).

And this is where Live TV channels beat OTT platforms. At least they have something new every day.

Also, every OTT platform should have a "Most Recent" button which we can click and view the latest additions. Contents should be arranged by date added. As of now, we have to check OnlyTech forums and other sites to find out which are the latest additions :D

How can any OTT add fresh content on daily basis buddy? It is impossible.

New shows/movies r added as and when date arrives for its premiere which may b based on what is decided in agreement and older shows/movies r frequently added across platforms

About your point that OTT platforms should add new content daily to compete with TV channels or when u say that TV channels have fresh content daily again this is not a fair comparison. TV Channels have library of shows and movies which is not visible to viewers and from that they chose n air some content on a daily basis while OTT you have the library infront of u with 1000s of shows and movies to choose from, all this is fresh content as u can watch different content daily and this is lot more than what TV chs air

If u expecting OTT platforms to make all the content in the world available on their platforms then not only it is financially unviable but it makes no practical sense too as no one ever watch so much content. I am sure at present u might have at max u would have watched 15 to 20% content available on OTT platforms (comprising languages understood by u), this too i am stating max limit if u r an avid viewer on OTT platforms

Lastly all platforms have the " recently added" category where u can see films/shows which have been included on the platform recently

You didn't notice new episodes of daily soaps on homegrown platforms. They are posted everyday. Is quality of those daily shows good or bad? Should OTT aim for quantity or quality like linear TVs does?

How can any OTT add fresh content on daily basis buddy? It is impossible.

New shows/movies r added as and when date arrives for its premiere which may b based on what is decided in agreement and older shows/movies r frequently added across platforms

About your point that OTT platforms should add new content daily to compete with TV channels or when u say that TV channels have fresh content daily again this is not a fair comparison. TV Channels have library of shows and movies which is not visible to viewers and from that they chose n air some content on a daily basis while OTT you have the library infront of u with 1000s of shows and movies to choose from, all this is fresh content as u can watch different content daily and this is lot more than what TV chs air

If u expecting OTT platforms to make all the content in the world available on their platforms then not only it is financially unviable but it makes no practical sense too as no one ever watch so much content. I am sure at present u might have at max u would have watched 15 to 20% content available on OTT platforms (comprising languages understood by u), this too i am stating max limit if u r an avid viewer on OTT platforms

Lastly all platforms have the " recently added" category where u can see films/shows which have been included on the platform recently
OTT platforms can have a visible library and invisible library.....then they can add content to visible library from invisible library on a daily basis....in this way, people can be interested daily to visit the platform to see which is the new content in visible library.

Recently added category is hard to find on most platforms....Zee5 has "view recently added" option only on their TV episodes.

Prime has a "recently added movies" page: Prime Video

But only new release movies are on this page....not old movies....they frequently add old movies...but no way to easily find them.

Last edited:
You didn't notice new episodes of daily soaps on homegrown platforms. They are posted everyday. Is quality of those daily shows good or bad? Should OTT aim for quantity or quality like linear TVs does?
Yes I have noticed that...Zee5 is pretty good at posting and arranging their soaps neatly on their apps....this way should also be followed for original zee5 content

OTT platforms can have a visible library and invisible library.....then they can add content to visible library from invisible library on a daily basis....in this way, people can be interested daily to visit the platform to see which is the new content in visible library.
Why would someone want only partial access to a platform? If I am paying a subscription fee, I would want access to their entire catalogue. Isn't that the whole point of OTT subscriptions? Not having to wait, and getting to watch everything and anything whenever we want. Deliberately limiting access to part of the library could be considered an illegal practice.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock