Sad News Sony Liv to discontinue live channels

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 110
  • Views: Views 24,854
The Jio fiber STB already has a port for CoAx cable witch can accept Hathway and Den cable so all that's needed for people who need the live TV channels is to get the STB activated on either of those two MSOs when the OTTs stop providing the live TV channels. Star was first, now it's Sony and soon Zee will also follow.
Well
As I remember tata play blocked live channels of zee5 in Binge plus boxes at 1St...only OTT contents were avail at that time...i think now it's avail.

It should be like that only...all live channels for OTT subscriptions should be disabled..this will surely boost the DTH industry....let people who wants live channels subscribe to DTH or any other sources...
also those OTT which have live channels desabled should reduce the subscription prices too as it's now they r also charging/counting for live channels too atleast at the back end...

Well honestly, i doesn't matter anymore as for LIVE content, it's already available on OTT be it Sports or anything. For Reality shows, they would work out something else the viewership will plunge. And further the OTT guys have moved to OTT as they were frustrated with PQ, Ads etc. on Linear TV. This move will further alienate the Linear television. As right now they bundle the viewership numbers and present for selling ad spots and all. In future that would become even more harder, as technologically OTT is far superior to Linear and with multi formats of HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos etc. it's very difficult for linear to compete with it.

But it's still early days, let's see how it shapes up.

Indian consumers have short term vision. They aren't ditching ₹200 cable/dth for even ₹350 broadband. Also multiple options, convience and ease of learning is in tv industry's favour. Just ask telecom companies whether they make more money from extra data top up boosters or from their broadband service. Not having linear channels on platforms will increase efforts of platforms itself. Now you will have educate consumers how to access content. Some might find it difficult navigating and finding content specially when you have daily soaps with thousands of epsiodes.

Indian consumers have short term vision. They aren't ditching ₹200 cable/dth for even ₹350 broadband. Also multiple options, convience and ease of learning is in tv industry's favour. Just ask telecom companies whether they make more money from extra data top up boosters or from their broadband service. Not having linear channels on platforms will increase efforts of platforms itself. Now you will have educate consumers how to access content. Some might find it difficult navigating and finding content specially when you have daily soaps with thousands of epsiodes.
Well i agree to what you're saying as there's always resistance to change. And sadly, that's the only reality these days. It took hell of an effort to make people move from Normal Cable to STB and DTH. It would be even more effort to transition folks onto OTT. Somewhere the strategy deployed by Jio on offering free is very right to grab eyeballs and do a comparison and then eventually make them understand the paid and non paid content. Especially in Sports and Soaps. But it's still early days as we say.

Well i agree to what you're saying as there's always resistance to change. And sadly, that's the only reality these days. It took hell of an effort to make people move from Normal Cable to STB and DTH. It would be even more effort to transition folks onto OTT. Somewhere the strategy deployed by Jio on offering free is very right to grab eyeballs and do a comparison and then eventually make them understand the paid and non paid content. Especially in Sports and Soaps. But it's still early days as we say.
I personally think Jio will something like Apple who will try to tie you to their system. Even right now many non partner apps are not available. Than you got apps that are directly available in their app or doesn't support logins of your own account.

PZYKm1M.png

Where they can get SONY channels in THE CABLE CUTTER plan after 30-Aug-23?

Last edited:
If sony reduce its price after removal of live tv feed then its welcome move. If not then atleast no loss for me.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock