Sad News Sony Liv to discontinue live channels

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 110
  • Views: Views 24,537
Whats the usage of Live tv channel on Ott Apps? I mean When all the programme are available on ott and anyone can watch with ad free at any time then Why Should Any one watch LIVE TV channel ?
For example Why Should I watch TMKOC on live tv channel when I can watch that particular episode at any time at my convenience.

Whats the usage of Live tv channel on Ott Apps? I mean When all the programme are available on ott and anyone can watch with ad free at any time then Why Should Any one watch LIVE TV channel ?
For example Why Should I watch TMKOC on live tv channel when I can watch that particular episode at any time at my convenience.
The problem with Sony is live content is available on Live TV tab of most shows. It's also bad for movie fans. Earlier you could stream Netflix exclusive movies like Kantara and Bhool Bhulaiya via Sony Max. For TV industry as a whole. It's a good move.

OFF TOPIC For Jio Fiber there was complaint by Bharti Airtel regarding bundling of live channels with broadband against JIO for which TRAI had dismissed it some days ago .For hotstar all the live channels are not there on JIO Fiber specifically Kids channels, Star gold select, star gold romance and thrills. star sports 3 etc.Same was the case with Sony LIV but inside the app you can view all channels until they are added again in Jio Fiber they will be gone. For ZEE5 most of them are present barring CNN etc. Other small networks are available via APP only that is the disadvantage that you need to go inside the APP to tune live channels. others like POGO, cartoon network, cartoon network HD +, BBC, Cbeebies etc are also not present,In hotstar for some live sports it shows that you cannot watch the live feed. In that case DTH/cable is the viable option for satellite channels. Going forward in JIO TV all are present but that is not available for JiO fiber too and only for mobile viewing.

The problem with Sony is live content is available on Live TV tab of most shows. It's also bad for movie fans. Earlier you could stream Netflix exclusive movies like Kantara and Bhool Bhulaiya via Sony Max. For TV industry as a whole. It's a good move.
TV based OTTs (Zee/Sun) should remove live tv from their apps, so they can save linear tv for another dacade.

Last edited:
It was a much needed step to maintain a level playing field between DTH/Cable and OTT platform for pay channels to maintain parity with respect to NTO 2.0 tariff structure irrespective of the mode of delivery to the end user. As far as FTA channels are concerned they can be provided freely even by OTTs without having an impact on DTH/Cable operations. The'One service, one tariff' rule is fine agnostic of technology.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock