Sad News Sony Liv to discontinue live channels

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 110
  • Views: Views 24,826
There is a loophole though. Some channels are free on DD FreeDish like MTV Beats but paid on private cable and DTH.
Work on plugging that loophole has already begun, just 3 days back TRAI has issued a consultation paper to address this very issue.
"The regulator has also sought views on whether pay channels available on DD Free Dish channels should be made available as FTA channels across all platforms. Currently, certain channels that are listed as pay channels on private distribution platforms are also available as FTA channels on DD Free Dish."

Last edited:
Work on plugging that loophole has already begun, just 3 days back TRAI has issued a consultation paper to address this very issue.
"The regulator has also sought views on whether pay channels available on DD Free Dish channels should be made available as FTA channels across all platforms. Currently, certain channels that are listed as pay channels on private distribution platforms are also available as FTA channels on DD Free Dish."
OFF TOPIC TRAI had given clean chit to JIO and they can carry live channels. They had already added star sports select 2 and star sports select 1 now 2-3 days back and I can also see Star sports 4 which may be Star sports 3 in Disney Hotstar in Jio Fiber There are many live channels of Star including Kid movie and infotainment channels which are missing . I hope to see all live channels in future on Jio fiber as the APPs does not have all content I guess. Also feeds are blocked like the current Asia cup hockey on Star sports select 2 HD during live games in JIO Fiber..

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC TRAI had given clean chit to JIO and they can carry live channels. They had already added star sports select 2 and star sports select 1 now 2-3 days back and I can also see Star sports 4 which may be Star sports 3 in Disney Hotstar in Jio Fiber There are many live channels of Star including Kid movie and infotainment channels which are missing . I hope to see all live channels in future on Jio fiber as the APPs does not have all content I guess. Also feeds are blocked like the current Asia cup hockey on Star sports select 2 HD during live games in JIO Fiber..
Star Select 1 and 2 are not new. Both these channels were available when I bought jio fiber which was 2 years ago. Star sports 3 is not available on jio fiber

Star Select 1 and 2 are not new. Both these channels were available when I bought jio fiber which was 2 years ago. Star sports 3 is not available on jio fiber
NO the SD feeds were not there . Now SD feeds are added . Also you can see Star Sports 4 with Error code.

NO the SD feeds were not there . Now SD feeds are added . Also you can see Star Sports 4 with Error code.
Gotcha you're talking about the hotstar app itself I thought you were talking about Jio TV+. Yes you're right there are SD feeds of both select channels and strangely Star sports 4 which doesn't exist

Gotcha you're talking about the hotstar app itself I thought you were talking about Jio TV+. Yes you're right there are SD feeds of both select channels and strangely Star sports 4 which doesn't exist
OFF TOPIC Yes bro. Looks like added by Disney hotstar but the difference is that the live feed of these channels are not available to others and is for Jio Fiber only. Sometimes they may be blocked too in Jio Fiber specifically for the sports events like the Asian Champions hockey tournament so thats a disadvantage. Same they will do for Sony LIV I guess

OFF TOPIC Yes bro. Looks like added by Disney hotstar but the difference is that the live feed of these channels are not available to others and is for Jio Fiber only. Sometimes they may be blocked too in Jio Fiber specifically for the sports events like the Asian Champions hockey tournament so thats a disadvantage. Same they will do for Sony LIV I guess
Even if they block the feed for live sports events it's still against the NTO to provide the pay channels for free on Jio fiber if they are a special feed for Jio TV+ and not sourced from the respective OTT apps. Rather they can charge the a-la-carte rate of the channel as applicable on DTH and then provide the complete live stream including the sporting events to keep it a level playing field with DTH and Cable services.

Even if they block the feed for live sports events it's still against the NTO to provide the pay channels for free on Jio fiber if they are a special feed for Jio TV+ and not sourced from the respective OTT apps. Rather they can charge the a-la-carte rate of the channel as applicable on DTH and then provide the complete live stream including the sporting events to keep it a level playing field with DTH and Cable services.
The pay channels are not for free as in between ZEE5 channels were off air from Jio Fiber and I suppose there should be agreement between the broadcasters and JIO while for the customers it is bundled with broadband . Also Jio TV on mobile has around 1000 channels and the same is disabled for casting otherwise all DTH and other operators would have already shut shop in that case. Already channels like BBC, CNN,Cartoon network HD+ and Star channels like Fox life, Nat Geo, Star Sports 3,cartoon network and pogo and whole discovery(available via APP) and IN10 media channels(available via APP) from different broadcasters are already missing in JIO TV+( so why all satellite channels not present on JIO TV+ in that case) but available on JIOTV mobile. All have their digital platform ready like TATA PLAY Binge, having digital channels and I suppose others are free to provide and expand their offerings accordingly. The difference may be with the Fiber experience and bandwidth I guess.

Last edited:
I personally will be willing to pay ala carte charge for some channels like CNN, BBC, Star Sports etc.

I am fine with OTTs removing live channels as I am not a big fan of watching live tv on OTT when they offer the same content on demand without ads. Experience also is not very good. Audio will be very low compared to DTH/cable.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock