Telephone connections rise to 1183.38 million in January 2021

Posted in:

Estimated reading time: 1 minute, 22 seconds

The number of telephone connections rose from 1173.76 million in December 2020 to 1183.38 million in January 2021 seeing an increase of 9.62 million telephone connections, according to the monthly telecom scenario report released by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) yesterday. The increase in telephone connections primarily came on the back of wireless connections increasing in both Rural and Urban areas through Private telephones. The increase in telephone connections was equally divided between Rural and Urban areas but heavily skewed in Private telephones favor with Public telephones seeing a decrease of 0.2 million in January 2021.

The maximum rise in telephone connections was recorded in Uttar Pradesh (West) followed by Uttar Pradesh (East) and Bihar whereas Mumbai recorded a fall in telephone connections over the previous month with a decrease of 72848. Uttar Pradesh (East) had the highest share in the total telephones followed by Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, and Tamil Nadu.

The overall teledensity rose from 86.37% in December 2020 to 87% in January 2021 due to increase in wireless tele-density in both Rural and Urban areas. The increase in tele-density was seen in Private telephones with Public telephones seeing a decrease of 0.2 tele-density. Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka accounted for the top five circles in terms of Tele-density with 152.14%, 129.62%, 121.99%, 106.13%, and 104.19% respectively. Metro cities Delhi, Kolkata, and Mumbai had a Tele-density of 275.13%, 162.08%, and 148.19% respectively.

Wireless segment had a share of 98.3% at the end of January 2021 while the share of wireline telephones was 1.70%. The share of public sector in total telephones was 11.15%, as against 88.85% of the private sector. The share of rural areas in total telephones stood at 44.78% in January’21. The share of urban areas, on the other hand, stood at 55.22% in January’21.

Thank you for reading OnlyTech! For the latest tech news, follow us on Twitter, Google News, Telegram and Facebook. For the latest videos on gadgets and tech, subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Avatar of Basil Kannagi Arasu
Basil Kannagi Arasu


Basil keeps an eye on the latest happenings in the Telecom sector. In his free time, you can find him streaming the Premier League which he started watching in 2013.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Visit our forums

Join the discussions with thousands of active members who share the same interests as you and learn something new...