Sohag Gazi - first man to hit a 100 and take hat-trick in a Test

Reaction score
Sohag Gazi lived a Sunday made of dreamy stuff - a hundred followed by a hat-trick engraved his name into Test history as the first man to achieve the feat. And though a victory was beyond Bangladesh's grasp, it was Gazi's ton that earned the hosts a confidence-building draw in the first Test against New Zealand at Chittagong. Gazi, it seemed, was on a five-day mission for Bangladesh where he almost pulled off a New Zealand heist. It began with a hundred (101) batting at No. 8 and concluded with a six-wicket spell (6 for 77), which encompassed a hat-trick that reserved an exclusive space for him in cricket history.

But that was not the only record he set on Sunday. The wicket of BJ Watling - his second of the hat-trick - made Gazi only the third player in this decade to score a hundred and take five wickets in a Test, with his team-mate Shakib Al Hasan and India offspinner R Ashwin being the other two. Sohag Gazi - first man to hit a 100 and take hat-trick in a Test The offspinner scored 101 batting at No. 8 and then took six wickets in the second innings to earn Bangladesh a confident draw against New Zealand. Shakib brought out a heroic effort off the next ball to take a one-handed catch at first slip that sent Bangladesh into a celebration frenzy, and the 22- year-old offie later admitted that he had "just couldn't believe what was happening".

"I just couldn't believe what was happening," Gazi said at the post-match conference. "The hat-trick was 99 percent Shakib bhai's doing. I was stunned into silence when the ball hit Mushfiqur [Rehman] bhai's pads and had taken off. Everything was happening in slow-motion for me from that point. Nasir was standing still, and in that last moment, Shakib bhai dived in." Gazi said he wanted to pitch the hat-trick ball exactly at the same spot from where it jumped awkwardly for Watling the previous delivery. To help his chances, captain Mushfiqur added a leg slip to the ring of close-in fielders. "Mushfiqur bhai always sets the field. I talk to him if I need to make little changes.

Ahead of that hat-trick ball, I didn't say anything to him, or want to make any changes. I just wanted to bowl the same delivery as I did the previous ball. I was hoping to land it there and let it go straight. He could either edge it or miss it." Before the match, media picked on Gazi's fitness, which had been under the scanner, and the offie said he took it as a challenge. "There was so much talk about my fitness. I took this Test match as a challenge. I really wanted to prove that I am fit."

Read more at: Sohag Gazi - first man to hit a 100 and take hat-trick in a Test

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock