Good News Hotstar is now available in Full-HD (1080p) Support, US and Canada Apps Launched

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 30
  • Views: Views 11,054

Basil

Staff member
Reaction score

Star India's Hotstar has started to roll out support for video streaming in full-HD (1080p), the company confirmed, as it looks to better compete with Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, both of which already offer video streaming in full-HD and also have larger catalogues.

Through a software update, Hotstar this week added support for full-HD (1080p) video streams on its iOS app (for iPhone and iPad). Android users and Web users will have to wait for now as neither of the platforms has 1080p at the time of publishing.

We scanned through the catalogue on Hotstar's iOS client and found that all premium titles such as Game of Thrones, How I Met Your Mother, and so on - are now available in full-HD (1080p). However, many movies and shows, as well as the sports content, still max out at HD (720p). Gadgets 360 had reported about Hotstar's imminent plans to add full-HD support two weeks ago.

Hotstar Finally Rolling Out Full-HD Streaming

Still not Dolby audio?

@Basil bro can we have quality select option in this update ??

Current version not having that option though previously it had that option in app

@Basil bro can we have quality select option in this update ??

Current version not having that option though previously it had that option in app

Bro it can be controlled on iOS with the new update
I have asked them about the android update which is yet to come out.

The app has good content but the navigation and the entire layout of the app is probably the worst you will ever see across all the apps on the planet!

A few basic functions that the app lacks!

1. Universal watchlist: It does not have a uniform watch list! The app just creates multiple watch lists for you wherever you log in from. If you add a video to the watch-list on the computer or phone, it will exist ONLY on the device you added it. The watch-list is not even reachable on the FIRETV app!

2. It does not remember play positions! Ghajini probably had better memory than this app! If you start watching something and then decide to continue watching later the you better sit with pen & paper to make a note of where you stopped and the exact episode number etc. because the stupid app does not remember anything. The app seems to be in suffering from a severe case of short term memory loss. So every time you open the app, it remembers some random aspect like the show you were watching etc history but forgets everything that is important, like the episode number you were watching and the play time.

3. Streaming is HORRIBLE! : These problems were rampant when Hotstar had launched, they had fixed it for some time but now it just looks like all the good code that was there to enable smooth streaming have somehow been deleted or maybe the server just can't keep up with the load. streaming still seems to stutter in random places.

4. No surround sound! : When we use an app to watch it on the big screen, we would also like to experience the movie in all its glory and hotstar seems to have forgotten than sound plays an important part in the overall viewing experience. ALL the titles available on the platform has only STEREO sound no DOLBY!

I really love the content on the app but PLEASE make it an app that people would WANT to use instead of being an that people are STUCK with. I would like to continue my premium subscription because of the content but the app really makes me want to pull out my hair sometimes out of sheer frustration

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock