Xiaomi Redmi 3s and 3s Prime were launched in 2016 with great specs in the budget segment but now the manufacturer has stopped providing software and even security updates to this phone. But, there is no need to throw that phone just for the sake of updates.
Although Xiaomi has left Redmi 3s to just Android 6 and never provided security patches after April 2017, thankfully there are some developers who are still supporting that phone and providing timely Android updates and security patches.
While many popular new phones like Redmi Note 7 still have not received the Android 10 update from Xiaomi you can upgrade your Redmi 3s (codenamed ‘land’) to the latest Android 10 using an official third party custom ROM.
Android 10 Features
- Gesture Navigation: Google has revamped gesture navigations with this release, there is no more back button, now you can swipe from side to go back and swipe up to see your open apps.
- Smart Reply: When you receive a message Smart Reply predicts what you are gonna reply, till now this feature was limited to Google Messages but with Android 10 smart replies can be shown in other messaging apps also.
- Dark Mode: Android 10 brings system-wide dark mode which can be enabled through quick-tile or with battery saver mode.
- Digital Wellbeing: New extensions like Focus Mode and Family link are added. Focus Mode pauses apps and blocks notifications for them while family link enabled parental controls like screen time limits, view app activity, manage apps and content restrictions.
- Privacy: All permissions and privacy settings are grouped together. You can opt-out of Ad personalisation in one click and location permissions for any app can be set to access only when that app is in use not in the background.
Best Android 10 Custom ROM for Redmi 3s
Xiaomi is among one of the slowest manufacturers to provide the latest updates that’s why many users prefer switching to a customer ROM in order to stay secure and updated. MIUI is known for tons of bloatware and a huge number of Advertisements, while custom ROMs provides you near to stock android experience.
Pixel Experience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included. As the name suggests it offers Google Pixel exclusive launcher, wallpapers, ringtones, icons, fonts, boot animation, along with many other features. This ROM is known to offer stability and Pixel like user interface. Download
This AOSP based ROM provides you stock UI/UX with various customizations features along with the Substratum theme engine. Compared to Pixel Experience ROM, it comes with many additional inbuild handy tools and features. With this ROM you can customize almost every aspect your device like recent screen, notification panel, navigation bar/gestures and many more.
AOSP Extended Android 10 for Redmi 3s is Alpha version. There are no Google apps and services included so you will need to flash Gapps separately in order to use them. Download
Havoc OS is another feature-rich ROM which has released Beta build of Android 10 for Xiaomi Redmi 3s. Similar to AOSP extended you will be able to easily tweak and customize many things in your phone to make it the way you love. Download
These Android-based custom ROMs are Stable with active developers who are providing regular monthly updates with security patches, new features and bug fixes.
This article is updated on 22nd June 2020