- Apple iOS 16.1 comes with new features and bug fixes.
- iCloud Shared Photo Library on iOS 16.1 makes it easier to share photos and videos with up to five users.
- Some features may not be available for all compatible iPhones or all regions.
Last month, Apple released the iOS 16 update with new features and improvements, including the reimagined lock screen and iMessage enhancements. Now, the company has released iOS 16.1 update, which comes with the iCloud Shared Photo Library and bug fixes. It also brings support for Apple Fitness+ on iPhones without requiring an Apple Watch and third-party app support in Live Activities.
Apple iOS 16.1 update changelog
iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
- Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on the start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
- Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together
- Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
- Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
- Live Activities from third-party apps are available in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
- Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
- Key sharing enables you to securely share a car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps such as Messages and WhatsApp
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported, enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
Clean Energy Charging
- New setting that can try to reduce your carbon footprint by selectively charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available
- Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
- Deleted conversations may appear in the conversations list in Messages
- Dynamic Island content is not available when using Reachability
- CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app
Apple iOS 16.1 update is available for iPhone 8 or newer devices, including iPhone SE (2nd gen or later). However, some features may not be available for all compatible iPhones or all regions. Users can open the Settings app on their iPhones and go to the Software Update page to download the latest available update.