Breaking Warner Bros. HBO content to be available on Jio Cinema soon

Will the Rs 1000 crore gamble by Viacom18 on Warner Bros. HBO content pay off?

HBO content in general hasn’t had a large impact on the number of subscriptions for Disney+ Hotstar even though the platform had them for eight years straight.

Disagree.

Context really matters. In 2019, wired internet subscribers were around 20 Million. Hotstar had about 8M before the Disney+ launch in 2020.

I would argue that the % of Hotstar Premium users were high before pandemic than after. The mobile/broadband bundle made the product reach the unintended target group who don't value premium programming.

That's why I hope Viacom18 keep offering Sports for Free but put the international content behind a paywall.

Last edited:
Context really matters. In 2019, wired internet subscribers were around 20 Million. Hotstar had about 8M before the Disney+ launch in 2020.
The numbers we projected are for the last year which is the lastest possible data... Actually Gaurav Laghate, the reputed Entertainment Editor for ET, now Mint has reported that... If the number of Hotstar Subscribers who watched any HBO original a single time is less than 5 Lakhs, does it really mean anything for Hotstar? I doubt so.

Don't you think, if HBO has been that important to DisneyPlusHotstar's overall success, they would have renewed the deal at a $10m - a - year, 5 year deal? On the otherhand Viacom18 has desperately paid like $120million for 3 years for whole WBD. Content.

Last edited:
The numbers we projected are for the last year which is the lastest possible data... Actually Gaurav Laghate, the reputed Entertainment Editor for ET, now Mint has reported that... If the number of Hotstar Subscribers who watched any HBO original a single time is less than 5 Lakhs, does it really mean anything for Hotstar? I doubt so.

Don't you think, if HBO has been that important to DisneyPlusHotstar's overall success, they would have renewed the deal at a $10m - a - year, 5 year deal? On the otherhand Viacom18 has desperately paid like $120million for 3 years for whole WBD. Content.
You really think less than 5 lakh ppl watched HBO?

Some HBO titles were on Top 10 Hotstar list throughout the year even when shows like Andor, Mandalorian, Hawkeye premiered.

Some HBO titles were on Top 10 Hotstar list throughout the year even when shows like Andor, Mandalorian, Hawkeye premiered.
Yeah I do, Apart from Game of Thrones, The Last of Us and House of the Dragon, I never saw a single HBO show on their English Top 10. You are free to disagree, but for reporting we need to have facts. And we here, trust Gaurav and his reports.

See, you referenced the 8 million subscriptions holders before Disney+ Hotstar rebranding... But that 8 million reported was after the fact that DisneyPlusHotstar is rebranded and you wouldn't know how many people are subscribed bcoz of the fact that DisneyPlus is launching with higher prices... I for one, who was postponing my renewal until the fact has renewed it bcoz they were bumping up the price. So, there will be huge uptick at that point. Either way, they had huge VIP/Sportspack subscription holders compared to Premium. Thats why thier ARPU is always lower.

Most likely it will be less than 5 lakh people or max 7-8 lakhs. I know for a fact 30 people who have subscribed for Hotstar in my family and friends group and out of that only 4 of us are even watching anything from HBO. Also nobody above the age of 45 are interested and when you consider the age group below that it is only less than 10% who are interested others mainly subscribe for the Sports or the 30 year old parents mainly subscribe it so that their children can watch Disney content

Yeah I do, Apart from Game of Thrones, The Last of Us and House of the Dragon, I never saw a single HBO show on their English Top 10. You are free to disagree, but for reporting we need to have facts. And we here, trust Gaurav and his reports.

See, you referenced the 8 million subscriptions holders before Disney+ Hotstar rebranding... But that 8 million reported was after the fact that DisneyPlusHotstar is rebranded and you wouldn't know how many people are subscribed bcoz of the fact that DisneyPlus is launching with higher prices... I for one, who was postponing my renewal until the fact has renewed it bcoz they were bumping up the price. So, there will be huge uptick at that point. Either way, they had huge VIP/Sportspack subscription holders compared to Premium. Thats why thier ARPU is always lower.
If all Warner bros movies are also exclusive to Jio Cinema, then it will be worth and put down Netflix and Amazon prime video.

Last edited:
Jio didn't pay more as stated above. It's Hotstar cutting loses by removing third party content after failing to monetize from IPL to even retain it's digital rights. They think they can cut HBO to get BCCI. They will fail here too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock