Breaking Disney+ Hotstar testing 4K HDR

• Thread starter Nilu334
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 122
  • Views: Views 22,428
I myself haven't tested 4k on Hotstar as of now because it hasn't rolled out for my TV. In my native place I don't have any external devices to check also. That being said, in other Android TV all are working and why not on Android boxes? And as per Hotstar Team only Togo has been officially rolled out on 4K HDR.
Even now I'm checking Togo. It's resolution is varying from 720p(HD) to 1080p(Full HD) to 4K and vice versa.

Even now I'm checking Togo. It's resolution is varying from 720p(HD) to 1080p(Full HD) to 4K and vice versa.

Thats because of your network stability bro! The bandwidth which is available for the app to stream. From day one only it's streaming 4k videos at 22.4 MBPS. U can check your output bandwidth and the load on the same. Also worth noting the HDR videos will be played at lower resolution also if the app is not getting the required bandwidth.

Thats because of your network stability bro! The bandwidth which is available for the app to stream. From day one only it's streaming 4k videos at 22.4 MBPS. U can check your output bandwidth and the load on the same. Also worth noting the HDR videos will be played at lower resolution also if the app is not getting the required bandwidth.
Can you pl let me know how to check my available bandwidth. I feel my setup should not have any issues.

Can you pl let me know how to check my available bandwidth. I feel my setup should not have any issues.

Take speedtest etc bro! It won't be setup issues, but the bandwidth may be less due to router you are using! You can check in the forums for the same.

Here is the screenshot of twitter chat I had with hotstar team.
k8UOLiM.jpg

Take speedtest etc bro! It won't be setup issues, but the bandwidth may be less due to router you are using! You can check in the forums for the same.
Mine is a 200 Mbps connection with TP link Deco M9 plus mesh setup. The upload/download speed most of the times is around 200Mbps. Never have I seen it below 150 Mbps.

You can see a TV in my previous post. The TP link main mesh router is above the TV and the Airtel Xstream stb is below the TV.

I never had any issues in watching Dolby Vision content on TVs Netflix app or on Apple TV 4K box. I guess these require more bandwidth. I hope I'm not missing anything here rdg my setup / bandwidth.

Pl let me know if this can be improved in anyway further. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I never had any issues in watching Dolby Vision content on TVs Netflix app or on Apple TV 4K box. I guess these require more bandwidth. I hope I'm not missing anything here rdg my setup / bandwidth.

Bro u can do one thing! In Stats for Nerds, Hotstar will display how much the connection speed is! U can get to a conclusion based on that also.

And regarding HDR content, even if the video is playing on FHD or lower ON HDR formatted devices the output will be HDR only. Its not like HDR will only work if the video plays in 4K.for example I'm currently using Idea dongle at my native place, the speed will be around 6-7mbps at the peak times, if I play Netflix HDR Video eventhough my bandwidth doesn't necessarily support 4k, video still plays in HDR only.

Bro u can do one thing! In Stats for Nerds, Hotstar will display how much the connection speed is! U can get to a conclusion based on that also.

And regarding HDR content, even if the video is playing on FHD or lower ON HDR formatted devices the output will be HDR only. Its not like HDR will only work if the video plays in 4K.for example I'm currently using Idea dongle at my native place, the speed will be around 6-7mbps at the peak times, if I play Netflix HDR Video eventhough my bandwidth doesn't necessarily support 4k, video still plays in HDR only.

Why can't we assume that there is some issue with Hotstar app or probably Airtel Xstream stb itself. I'm aware of HDR compatability with 1080p as well.

I'll try to post some pictures of speed test from an app on Airtel Xstream STB.

Last edited:
Why can't we assume that there is some issue with Hotstar app or probably Airtel Xstream stb itself.
I'm saying that problem might be with box also as because in Android TV apps are working fine rite.
I'll try to post some pictures of speed test from an app on Airtel Xstream STB.

Yeah check with Stats for Nerds. U may get something.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock