OTF Exclusive Airtel Wi-Fi Calling (VoWiFi) enabled on OnePlus 7T

What is the advantage of VoWiFi to the service provider (Airtel)?

What is the advantage of VoWiFi to the service provider (Airtel)?
Imagine your office is in the basement of a commercial building where there is no operators network in the underground area but there is WiFi in the office through wired broadband and you are connected to it. If your phone and carrier support vowifi then if someone calls on your number they will not get out of coverage area response, the call will connect as normal but on wifi instead of cellular. So it is like Airtel having a mini tower in your underground office without having to spend anything.

Imagine your office is in the basement of a commercial building where there is no operators network in the underground area but there is WiFi in the office through wired broadband and you are connected to it. If your phone and carrier support vowifi then if someone calls on your number they will not get out of coverage area response, the call will connect as normal but on wifi instead of cellular. So it is like Airtel having a mini tower in your underground office without having to spend anything.
Given that the same may also be achieved by the person using WhatsApp call, actually there is no benefit to the operator. Do the IUC charges still apply even with it is VoWiFi?

Given that the same may also be achieved by the person using WhatsApp call, actually there is no benefit to the operator. Do the IUC charges still apply even with it is VoWiFi?
Yes IUC still applies with VoWiFi and it gives the operator a more robust network coverage footprint without having to spend on setting up new towers and without the subscriber having to rely on voip apps.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, VoWiFi down since noon. Tried restarting twice but doesn't work. Maybe will try later.

I can still see VoWiFi in settings for Airtel, that means the service hasn't been turned off yet

@Sparker0i
I also have One Plus 7 which has been updated to Android 10 Official version. I am also on Airtel network. But here in Mumbai, I don't get VoWifi icon. It just remains at VoLTE. Maybe it is still under testing. (I have enabled VoWifi setting btw)

@Sparker0i
I also have One Plus 7 which has been updated to Android 10 Official version. I am also on Airtel network. But here in Mumbai, I don't get VoWifi icon. It just remains at VoLTE. Maybe it is still under testing. (I have enabled VoWifi setting btw)
That means Airtel is testing it in your area too

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock