After twin surgeries, Nehra upbeat about staging another comeback

Shivraj

Reaction score
After staging an international comeback at the ripe young age of 37 early this year, Ashish Nehra, India's most experienced pacer, proved that age was just a number. He became a trend-setter, a prime example of a perfect comeback story .
Nehra, who career has been plagued by injuries, made a huge impact on his return. He was the most sought-after bowler in the 2015-2016 T20 international season.
However, the man who has gone under the knife 11 times in his playing career, was forced once again to undergo surgeries this time on his injured knee and hamstring post the 2016 IPL season. He then suffered from 'chikungunya' and subsequent joint pain. However, that has not diminished the zeal and zest to play at the top level once again in the shorter formats of the game.
The key words for Nehra now are recovery and fitness. " After my two recent surgeries, I was recuperating well and training at the National Cricket Academy when chikungunya struck. I somehow managed to fly back from Bangalore to Delhi in August.
"The month of September was very painful due to pain in joints. But now I am on the recovery path. I have started to train and would be spending November and December in becoming match fit," Nehra told TOI during an interaction on Thursday .
Unlike in the past, the lanky pacer keeps short term goals these days and doesn't think about representing India in the middle of 2017 or so.
"My next goal is to achieve full fitness by January next year before the ODI and T20 series against England.
"I have been playing T20 cricket but am also ready for ODI cricket if the team feels that my services are needed. Thereafter, my next mission would be to play in the IPL 2017 after a few months of training," Nehra said while taking about his immediate priorities.
In next five to seven days, Nehra also plans to start bowling in the nets after some rigorous physical sessions. "I have been training for a while and certainly feeling better right now after the bout of chikungunya. I would be starting to bowl again after Diwali and keep working on my fitness till the England series," he said. When asked if he has set any time frame for his retirement,Nehra made it very clear that he isn't thinking on those lines. "Right now, I am enjoying the game and happy with the way I have progressed after two surgeries. I am working hard on my fitness and want to make a comeback for sure. But as I said earlier, I only talk about my short-term goals. If the team and selectors feel I am good enough to serve the country and also help the young bowlers, I am ready to do so," he added

http://opera.m.cricbuzz.com/cricket...s-nehra-upbeat-about-staging-another-comeback

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock