- eSIM support launched for Vodafone Postpaid subscribers
- Service launched for Delhi, Mumbai and Gujarat circles only
- Apple devices are supported, Samsung device support to be added soon.
Vodafone Idea which is the third-largest private telecom operator in India has announced the launch of eSIM support for its postpaid subscribers in Delhi, Mumbai, and Gujarat circles. At the time of launch, this service will be available for compatible eSIM supported Apple devices like iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max & iPhone XR. The service will be available soon on Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and Galaxy Fold as well.
eSIM stands for embedded SIM, which implies that the SIM is integrated within the smart device itself and is compatible with all networks on which it can be programmed, thus eliminating the need to insert a physical SIM card. Reliance Jio and Bharti Airtel, the leading telecom operators in India already support eSIM and Vodafone Idea is the latest to join the bandwagon.
“Vodafone Idea is excited to introduce eSIM technology for our postpaid customers which enables them to enjoy the benefits of convenience and flexibility of having more than one sim even on a single sim device. We, therefore, believe that eSIM will provide an enhanced experience to our customers as it will enable them to do a lot more with their device.”Speaking about the eSIM technology, Avneesh Khosla, Director-Marketing, Vodafone Idea, said.
Activation process for existing subscribers:
- Send SMS to 199 by typing “eSIM <space> email id” (If no email id is registered with your mobile number, send SMS “email <space>email id” to 199. Post-registration you can reinitiate the eSIM process).
- If your email is valid, you will receive SMS from 199. You need to reply back with ESIMY to confirm eSIM request
- Post your confirmation SMS, you will receive another SMS from 199 asking you to provide consent over a call
- After providing your consent on the call, an email with a QR code will be sent to the registered email id.
- Scan the QR Code
- Apple device: Please make sure that the phone is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data. Go to “Settings” > Select “Mobile Data” > Click on “Add Data Plan” Now “Scan QR code” received on mail.
- Follow the prompts on the phone.
Activation process for new subscribers:
- Visit nearest Vodafone store with proof of identity and photograph to get new Vodafone eSIM connection
- Is it preferred if you carry the handset along so that the QR code generated during the activation process can be scanned immediately
- The QR code sent through email will only be useful for a single scan and the eSIM will be successfully activated within 2 hours post scanning the code.