Why General motors (GM) failed in India!

Let me give a comical point. One of the families of my acquaintance wanted to buy a premium sedan and I suggested them cruize by Chevrolet but they rejected it saying that the logo looks like a Christian cross.

GM first launched Opel in India but left in 2006. Chevrolet was launched in 2003 but left in 2017. None of its cars were very popular. The Aveo UVA, Optra Magnum, Captiva, Forester (a rebadged Subaru Forester in the early 2000s) are some examples and very difficult to find on Indian roads.

Many other companies like Nissan, VW and Honda have no plan or strategy in India currently.

On the other hand the blockbuster debut of Kia has underlined its commitment to the Indian market. Maruti and Hyundai–Kia now control 75% of the market.

Last edited:
Let me give a comical point. One of the families of my acquaintance wanted to buy a premium sedan and I suggested them cruize by Chevrolet but they rejected it saying that the logo looks like a Christian cross.
After that moment, which brand they coose / bought, Bro. Any idea!

GM first launched Opel in India but left in 2006. Chevrolet was launched in 2003 but left in 2017. None of its cars were very popular. The Aveo UVA, Optra Magnum, Captiva are some examples and very difficult to find on Indian roads.

Many other companies like Nissan, VW and Honda have no plan or strategy in India currently.

On the other hand the blockbuster debut of Kia has underlined its commitment to the Indian market. Maruti and Hyundai–Kia now control 75% of the market.
I think Honda is among top5 after MS, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra. Renault is a success story and MSI started to give a new look for its models after Renault. I am a big fan of Nissan but it's not active and slow in launching products. And I agree that VW, Skoda and Ford are mismanaged

Last edited:
In the past three years, Honda and Nissan has expanded their service centres and dealerships to my hometown which is a small sleepy one on a closer proximity to Coimbatore, second largest city in TN. My hometown had service centres and dealerships for MSI and Tata only, but there is a tremendous improvement in short span ( which also makes me doubt the current car sales' negative growth). Though Nissan is about to discontinue Datsun brand, there is a huge marketing for Datsun in the area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock