• Welcome to OnlyTech community forums. If you are an existing member of our DreamDTH forums, please use the same login credentials to login here. Create a new account only if you are not registered at DreamDTH before. If you have trouble logging in, please let us know through the contact form.
  • Welcome to OnlyTech Forums
    An online community for the tech enthusiasts!

Why General motors (GM) failed in India!

Lurie

Pro
Reaction score
Let me give a comical point. One of the families of my acquaintance wanted to buy a premium sedan and I suggested them cruize by Chevrolet but they rejected it saying that the logo looks like a Christian cross.

JollyLNB

Elite
Reaction score
GM first launched Opel in India but left in 2006. Chevrolet was launched in 2003 but left in 2017. None of its cars were very popular. The Aveo UVA, Optra Magnum, Captiva, Forester (a rebadged Subaru Forester in the early 2000s) are some examples and very difficult to find on Indian roads.

Many other companies like Nissan, VW and Honda have no plan or strategy in India currently.

On the other hand the blockbuster debut of Kia has underlined its commitment to the Indian market. Maruti and Hyundai–Kia now control 75% of the market.

Last edited:
OP
ramesh sky

ramesh sky

Guru
Reaction score
Let me give a comical point. One of the families of my acquaintance wanted to buy a premium sedan and I suggested them cruize by Chevrolet but they rejected it saying that the logo looks like a Christian cross.
After that moment, which brand they coose / bought, Bro. Any idea!

Lurie

Pro
Reaction score
GM first launched Opel in India but left in 2006. Chevrolet was launched in 2003 but left in 2017. None of its cars were very popular. The Aveo UVA, Optra Magnum, Captiva are some examples and very difficult to find on Indian roads.

Many other companies like Nissan, VW and Honda have no plan or strategy in India currently.

On the other hand the blockbuster debut of Kia has underlined its commitment to the Indian market. Maruti and Hyundai–Kia now control 75% of the market.
I think Honda is among top5 after MS, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra. Renault is a success story and MSI started to give a new look for its models after Renault. I am a big fan of Nissan but it's not active and slow in launching products. And I agree that VW, Skoda and Ford are mismanaged

Last edited:

Lurie

Pro
Reaction score
In the past three years, Honda and Nissan has expanded their service centres and dealerships to my hometown which is a small sleepy one on a closer proximity to Coimbatore, second largest city in TN. My hometown had service centres and dealerships for MSI and Tata only, but there is a tremendous improvement in short span ( which also makes me doubt the current car sales' negative growth). Though Nissan is about to discontinue Datsun brand, there is a huge marketing for Datsun in the area.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G General Motors to hike car prices from Oct 1 General Topics 0
Bapun Raz General Motors registers record saleas in May General Topics 0
OnlyTech.com Article Jio Platforms gets subscription amounts from L Catterton, PIF, Silver Lake and General Atlantic OnlyTech Articles Discussions 0
Maheswar Discussion SBI General Insurance new logo General Topics 0
Bapun Raz Discussion General discussions about advertisements General Topics 2
DJ Roy Discussion General discussion of telecom services of around the world Telecom Services 1
Sourav Bhadani General Discussion about Indian Smartphone Companies Mobiles & Accessories 7
OnlyTech.com Article General Atlantic invests Rs 6598 crores in Jio Platforms Telecom Services 1
Basil General Discussions on Hathway Broaband Broadband Providers 0
Basil General Discussions on Bharti Airtel Telecom Services 16
Basil General Discussions on ACT Fibernet Broadband Providers 1
Siva General Chat Thread Social Chat 84
Basil General Discussions about BSNL Broadband - FTTH Broadband Providers 0
Basil General Discussions on Airtel Xstream Fiber Broadband Providers 3
D General Discussions about Vodafone Idea Telecom Services 64
DJ Roy Discussion General discussions on satellite and digital rights of sporting events Sports 2
J Discussion General discussions and updates on Credit cards Online Shopping Discussions 43
DJ Roy Sad News World fears possibility of World War 3 as US President orders assassination of Iranian General General Topics 9
F Discussion Pakistan Super League 2020 | General Updates And Discussions. Sports 50
somnath chakraborty Discussion General Tennis Discussions, News & Updates Tennis 44
Bapun Raz Discussion Indian General Elections 2024 General Topics 12
DJ Roy Everything Gaming Thread - General discussion on gaming and consoles Gaming & Consoles 25
Z Seeking Help Please Suggest Decent Laptop for Normal Study & General Use, under 45K Computers & Hardware 22
Abhinav842 Discussion 2019 General Elections' Results - Updates & Discussions General Topics 443
ramesh sky Discussion General knowledge questions and answers General Topics 5