Seeking Help What difference between fibre and cable or any other broadband (physicaly)

• Thread starter A^00P
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 9
  • Views: Views 4,800

A^00P

Reaction score
Hi
I am planning to take fibre optic internet services bascially ftth .So i just wanted to know how do i know that cable begin laid in my house is indeed fibre only and not that cable waal guy is fooling in name of fibre and instead is planning to put normal cable witch may be either Ethernet wire or coaxial wire or copper wire

plz help with pics/videos/liks

Jio's fiber cable:
Its basically very thin.

fiber110.jpg

Jio's fiber vs You Boradband's Normal Cable:
Normal cable will look like standard ethernet cable and is thicker than fiber;

fiber210.jpg

In my case (BSNL FTTH provided by LCO vendor) the fiber wire looks just like ethernet cable or DTH cable thickness.

The way to be sure you have fiber is that the "modem" device they give you will have a fiber "patch cable" usually yellow in colour and no other form of cable like ethernet or coaxial, search google/youtube for images/videos of ftth installation you will see plenty of examples like this one:

Source

In this video you can see the black ftth cable going to black junction box and yellow thin wire (patch cable) coming to modem with blue plug.

Hope this helps but just search around youtube for more videos.

Well, they can run fibre till your kerb (building/society), terminate the fibre on a router and provide connection with Ethernet cables from the router to individual users. This is how ACT deploys their slower speed internet connections (I guess they advertise their service as FTTH however?).

Frankly, how would it matter to you whether it is pure fibre till your router or whether its an ethernet cable to your router as long as you are getting the specified speeds & reliability?

Well, they can run fibre till your kerb (building/society), terminate the fibre on a router and provide connection with Ethernet cables from the router to individual users. This is how ACT deploys their slower speed internet connections (I guess they advertise their service as FTTH however?).

Frankly, how would it matter to you whether it is pure fibre till your router or whether its an ethernet cable to your router as long as you are getting the specified speeds & reliability?

Well to me it does

Between router/modems of fibre arent different from those of broadband/others

I recently upgraded to Fiber Optic cable from Old Cat 5E cable. They gave me two small things, one is Splicing Tray Box and another is ONU (optical network unit). They brought a Splicing Machine which is very costly about 1 lakh or more. And it's very tricky to install. Fiber cable is too hard, feels like solid plastic cable and there is a single Fiber glass inside. Not 8 copper wire like Cat 5E. I am using my Old Router which connected with ONU via Cat 6 cable. My ONU doesn't have WiFi itself. So it's cheaper.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded to Fiber Optic cable from Old Cat 5E cable. They gave me two small things, one is Splicing Tray Box and another is ONU (optical network unit). They brought a Splicing Machine which is very costly about 1 lakh or more. And it's very tricky to install. Fiber cable is too hard, feels like solid plastic cable and there is a single Fiber glass inside. Not 8 copper wire like Cat 5E. I am using my Old Router which connected with ONU via Cat 6 cable. My ONU doesn't have WiFi itself. So it's cheaper.

why did they provided you which a costly 1 lakh Splicing Tray .is it necessary.did you paid from your own pocket ???

why did they provided you which a costly 1 lakh Splicing Tray .is it necessary.did you paid from your own pocket ???
No No.. they brought the splicing machine to joint the main Fiber optic cable with Optical patch cord connector (a blue SC connector with yellow cable) which connects with ONU.

No No.. they brought the splicing machine to joint the main Fiber optic cable with Optical patch cord connector (a blue SC connector with yellow cable) which connects with ONU.

whose ftth service you are using ??? what are charges ???

whose ftth service you are using ??? what are charges ???
I have Alliance Broadband. (Kolkata Circle). No change of speed because it depends on plan. But uninterrupted connection during power cut, less prone to damage on lightning strike and less network problem due to rain.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock