Reliance Jio Fiber 2.4GHz vs 5GHz routers - speed and reliability discussions

That's not a fair comparison. Infact that's not even a comparison. The info provided by @Rajat Basak bro is absolutely correct.

The 2.4ghz band provides better range but transmits data at slower speed. The 5ghz band provides high speed data transmission but with restricted coverage.

But we need to also consider the interferences from other sources. Vast majority of wifi enabled devices and many household gadgets like cordless phones, bluetooth devices, car sensors, microwave ovens, game consoles etc. etc. all use the 2.4ghz radio frequency band. That's the primary reason 5ghz band came into existence - to operate on a band which will be free from interference.

So, the range and speed of 2.4ghz will be very much affected if you have any device which operates in same band and will interfere with it.
Bro, I agree that it is not a fair comparison. From technical point of view, Your statements are absolutely correct.

But from customer perspective, The mind first compares before and after situations. Before I had Airtel 5ghz router and now Jio 2.4ghz router. Jio router has poor coverage than Airtel's 5ghz router. Speeds remain almost same. Now I can see that it is fault of Jio for not providing proper router. This is what matters at the end of the day.

1. Before I had Airtel 5ghz router and now Jio 2.4ghz router.
  2. Jio router has poor coverage than Airtel's 5ghz router.
  3. Speeds remain almost same.
  1. You earlier had dual band router and now a 2.4ghz only router.
  2. That implies jio had poor network coverage in your area.
  3. This probably means Airtel was cheating you with speed. 😆😆😆

000010.jpg

I have both of above, today i removed the black one from my home, the white one is at my office it's still working for free and always gives 100 mbps.

One more thing i want to know that how many antennas do you have in your both Airtel and Jio Routers? My TPlink router WR840N 300mbps has two external antennas..

if you guys want better output on 2.4 Ghz try scanning for channel being used in your nieghbourhood or appartment or home.. change the channel to something which is not being used like channel 11 -13, beware old device wont support channels higher than 11. this should give less interference and better results.

As far as 5Ghz is concerned, the range is very short and throw put of 500mbp+ is achived only Via MIMO if you devices (gadgets) support it with router. Most common reason it why some 5Ghz router seems to have long range is that it is configured to work in Mixed mode (2.4/5ghz) rather than 5Ghz mode only, also the channel and bandwidth might have been set to lower channel and lower bandwidth to achieve longer range.

if you guys want better output on 2.4 Ghz try scanning for channel being used in your nieghbourhood or appartment or home.. change the channel to something which is not being used like channel 11 -13, beware old device wont support channels higher than 11. this should give less interference and better results.
Wow. Very informative.. but i didn't understand this part. Which channels you are talking about?

As far as 5Ghz is concerned, the range is very short and throw put of 500mbp+ is achived only Via MIMO if you devices (gadgets) support it with router. Most common reason it why some 5Ghz router seems to have long range is that it is configured to work in Mixed mode (2.4/5ghz) rather than 5Ghz mode only, also the channel and bandwidth might have been set to lower channel and lower bandwidth to achieve longer range.
Yes, specially if you are living in apartment. Use the channel which is NOT in use and get better speed with expanded coverage

Wow. Very informative.. but i didn't understand this part. Which channels you are talking about?
channel is particular subfrequency within the 2.4Ghz band which is used to send and receive data... it can be changed in the router settings.

i have very basic dual band 2x2mimo router. settings can be as follows.

m7fp0yb.png

BJVaPHW.png

working mode can be changed for 5Ghz band and also 2.4 Ghz with interface like this...

z1RbFyz.png

FpdO3Tp.png

Higher the frequency, lower the wavelength.... :D

Last edited:

Yes. But as far as jio ONT they have locked the wifi channel changing options. Stupid move by Jio. We can also achieve good speeds in 2.4ghz if router and phone supports channel bonding and MIMO.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock