OTF Exclusive Jio STB User Interface Screenshots and Review

aashishvanand

Reaction score
Hi,
In continuation of the previous post showcasing the I/O in STB (Jio STB without RF input). Here are more screenshots from the STB.
The STB seems to run a customized version of AOSP Android 7.1 and not based on Android TV, so it lacks Google Play and Google apps out of the box.

Unfortunately, its missing Google Assistant and Chromecast Built-in, Airtel Xstream or Hathway Playbox or Act StreamTV 4K seems to be built on Android TV OS whereas Jio STB is running a customized Android AOSP built. It also seems to be running an outdated security patch from 1 Dec 2018. There is no option in the settings to check for updates.

g5qlplA.jpg

DBSXUUP.jpg

There seems to be around 4.5GB of internal storage space left and there is an option to format external USB devices as internal memory. This can technically expand the storage to anytime.

fLcOeL0.jpg

The remote seems to be connected via the Bluetooth. But there is no way to conenct any other bluetooth devices. It also lacks a dedicated menu, there no way to add a bluetooth mouse or a keyboard.
hyIQvCW.jpg

Both YouTube and Sonyliv seem to be a custom app created for Jio based on their package names "You Tube" (com.jio.yt) and "SonyLIV" (com.jiotv.sonyliv). But their functionalities are the same as the original app. Youtube played 4k HDR video without any issues.
9YjEYnX.jpg

lMimAug.jpg

The box seems to have native DLNA support. It was able to play a 4K HDR stream from my NAS server without frame loss using the built-in Photos app.
stfCidc.jpg

JioTv+ app is just like Patchwall for Mi TV's it aggregates content from several partners in a single app. But the UI looks much similar to the one used in apple tv+

4oxPtNF.jpg

mQT2SFP.jpg

tgfdXoD.jpg

4wo45fp.jpg

YWaUUS4.jpg

Apart from JioTV+ there seems to a separate copy of all the Jio apps such as JioSaavn JioGames seems to have some issue. It wasn't working as of the review.
nQmvBXX.jpg

8Bbjklo.jpg

To install additional apps JioStore seems to be the only way out as of now. It hardly has a handful of apps that we discussed earlier.
kr5RJNx.jpg

Overall impression:
All the hype that was created for the STB is definitely not worth the wait. Even if Live TV is added in the future we are locked only to JioStore no option of Google Play. We might definitely miss out on the openness of Android TV to install any app. Comparison of Jio STB with Airtel Xtream or Hathway Playbox or ACT Stream4k is like comparing android TV which is prevalent now vs smart TV or internet-connected tv form the past.

Last edited:
Bro could u search "what is my user agent" on jio stb on any browser and tell me that please

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock