Discussion IPL 2020 | News & Updates | Champions - Mumbai Indians

Which team will be the IPL 2020 Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy! Retention also provides Player to say no to the price which the franchise is offering. They can demand more. If Bhumrah is satisfied with 7 crores then its his wish. Take Kohli for example, he felt he is above 15 Cr and demanded for 17 crores which RCB is paying happily. Bumrah one is on himself not MI, if they got him agreed to 7 crores.

ALSO worth mentioning that base price is floor price for BCCI to cut from Franchise's purse. Take Akshar Patel for example, he was paid around 6.5 crores in retention, but KZIP's purse was deducted 12.5 crores. Same goes with Delhi's retentions of Iyer, Pant and Morris. That is a just a floor price.
Clearly that gives and advantage to the financially well-off Team Owners in that case. Which is then leading to lop-sided teams. I can bet whatever I have and say Bumrah will be paid way way more than 7c. And I will win the bet.

Instead,
1. Why have the Retention system at all?
2. Why not every player go into auction and teams take that same player in the auction?

That way it gives a level-playing field to all teams and equal opportunity to build competitive teams to win the tournament.

Clearly that gives and advantage to the financially well-off Team Owners in that case. Which is then leading to lop-sided teams. I can bet whatever I have and say Bumrah will be paid way way more than 7c. And I will win the bet.

Instead,
1. Why have the Retention system at all?
2. Why not every player go into auction and teams take that same player in the auction?

That way it gives a level-playing field to all teams and equal opportunity to build competitive teams to win the tournament.
That is what equalized purse and equalised floor prices are for. I don't get how equalized purse is giving financial advantage? If I'm missing something please let me know.

Ps. If u are referring Kohli 17 crores, those 17 crores are deducted from purse not 15. If retention happens with less than floor price, floor price will be taken into account if not, whatever the player is getting paid.

Last edited:
So that they can get players for less amounts.
And if the player says they don't want to be retained, the franchise has no other choice but to send him to auction.

This is where no RTM policy should come in so that certain teams don't become way too stronger than others. If a franchise wants to buy a player, they should go all in on the auctions..

Clearly that gives and advantage to the financially well-off Team Owners in that case.
Every team fields with an 85cr auction purse every year, no differences there. Financially well of team owners doesn't matter

If I'm missing something please let me know.
The fact that Retaining System is allowing a player to be got for a lesser amount than what the team would be able to get that player for in an auction. Example - Bumrah will probably go for 10+ crores in an auction but Mumbai got him for 7crores. Thats the advantage they get with the Retaining System. Again, why not buy players from auction? Whats the problem in that?

Last edited:
This is where no RTM policy should come in so that certain teams don't become way too stronger than others. If a franchise wants to buy a player, they should go all in on the auctions..
I'd replace the word RTM with Retention. 100% agree with 2nd sentence.

Every team fields with an 85cr auction purse every year, no differences there. Financially well of team owners doesn't matter
I'll try explaining in more detail taking an example.
1. Bumrah can be retained for 7c
2. Player agrees because Mumbai will say they will pay him "unofficially" much more than 7c. Unofficially doesn't mean illegally, by the way
3. Since Mumbai can afford to splurge whatever they want is where the financial aspect of the teams comes into the picture

Instead, why not have Bumrah in the auction pool and Mumbai take him for whatever price they want in the auction?

The fact that Retaining System is allowing a player to be got for a lesser amount than what the team would be able to get that player for in an auction. Example - Bumrah will probably go for 10+ crores but Mumbai got him for 7crores. Thats the advantage they get with the Retaining System. Again, why not buy players from auction? Whats the problem in that?
Buddy! As I and @Sparker0i bro have explained, Bumrah has right to refuse the offer and enter the auction. Its not like MI can force the offer with out player's consent. If Bumrah himself decides to play for 7 crores there isn't much anyone can do about it.

Retention is no issue they have to scrap RTM, take Rabada for example, CSK gone all in for him and got him for around 4.5 crores, Delhi has got him in RTM, if they would have gone all in he would have gone for more. Same with Faf, Chennai got him cheaply for 1.6 crores because of RTM, if its not der Punjab had gone all in, CSK would have gone for higher. Atleast in retention there is a choice for Players not in RTM. See how bad it turned with Dhawan and SRH in 2018 because of RTM.

Buddy! As I and @Sparker0i bro have explained, Bumrah has right to refuse the offer and enter the auction. Its not like MI can force the offer with out player's consent. If Bumrah himself decides to play for 7 crores there isn't much anyone can do about it.

Retention is no issue they have to scrap RTM, take Rabada for example, CSK gone all in for him and got him for around 4.5 crores, Delhi has got him in RTM, if they would have gone all in he would have gone for more. Same with Faf, Chennai got him cheaply for 1.6 crores because of RTM, if its not der Punjab had gone all in, CSK would have gone for higher. Atleast in retention there is a choice for Players not in RTM. See how bad it turned with Dhawan and SRH in 2018 because of RTM.
1. Haven't refered to Bumrah's rights to refuse or accept the offer.
Referring to having such an offer in the first place - meaning Retention System. Why have the system?

2. Retention is no issue?? I just highlighted the issue in the previous post.
2nd part of your 2nd paragraph - No RTM. Thats awesome and even better in my opinion.

Again my question - why have Retention System? Why not have all players in auction?

^Just get the feeling Rohit... if not injured will be next T20/Odi captain till next T20/odi world cup.:unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock