Fish: Djokovic is just "incredible"

• Thread starter BaLaG
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,331

BaLaG

Reaction score
Despite beating Mardy Fish to win the Rogers Cup, Novak Djokovic can expect a warm welcome with his third Grand Slam bid of the year at the US Open.

That is according to Fish himself, who despite continuing to firmly establish himself as the US number one, acknowledges he is still some way short of being a realistic contender at Flushing Meadows.

For a large part that is down to the relentless form of Djokovic, whose only loss of the season remains his semi-final defeat to Federer at the French Open: a run Fish describes as "incredible".

"I can appreciate it more and more as I have success," said Fish.

"You just think because he's better than everyone else right now, he's going to win.

"He was in trouble in the first set of his first match, but he just gets through it."

As golf comes to terms with the prospect of life without an ailing Tiger Woods, some have begun to raise questions over whether Djokovic's utter dominance this season can be a good thing for tennis.

It's a strange argument, given two of the all-time greats - Federer and Rafael Nadal - sit just behind him in the rankings. And it is one the gradually improving Fish is quick to dismiss.

"I think it (dominance) draws people to the sport. People like dominance, especially in the States. They love Federer. They loved him when he was dominating and he's not even American. So maybe it's good."

It seems remarkable how big a favourite Djokovic will be heading into Flushing Meadows, given the calibre of his high-seeded rivals: not only Nadal and Federer but the likes of Andy Murray and former finalist Juan Martin Del Potro.

It is a line-up that could match if not beat any era. And it is why Djokovic will continue to take nothing for granted - even if it means reminding his inquisitors that his feet remain very firmly on the ground.

"I am human - I can definitely assure you of that," said Djokovic. "I guess it's all about having a positive attitude on court every day, waking up every day wanting to improve, wanting to win, being determined.

"It's that desire and motivation that keeps me going. Every match I play I try to win, regardless of which match it is.

"I'm sure there are going to be bad days. But I just feel that now I'm playing the best tennis of my life."

more...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock