Vodafone Idea has started offering cellular service for Apple Watch users starting today. The service will be available for Vodafone Postpaid customers including Enterprise Postpaid in Mumbai, Gujarat, and Delhi with expansion to other circles in the coming weeks.
The service will enable you to share your Vodafone postpaid plan on your mobile with an eligible Apple Watch (GPS+Cellular) which means that you can use your Apple Watch to make and receive calls and use data on the Vodafone network.
Vodafone customers need to have Apple Watch Series 3 or later (GPS+Cellular) and iPhone 6s or later model. To check eligibility, Vodafone customers can SMS ‘CHKESIM’ to 199.
The Apple Watch has to be paired with the primary iPhone device and activated by Vodafone. The feature is free of cost with any Vodafone RED postpaid plan. It can also be used in national roaming but not in international roaming.
Vodafone states that it is working on introducing eSIM service for Idea Postpaid mobile users.
Speaking about the development, Avneesh Khosla, Director – Marketing, Vodafone Idea Ltd, said, “Consumers today are increasingly moving towards having connected products in their lives. With the launch of cellular support for Apple Watch we are enabling our customers to connect their Apple Watch to their iPhone using the same / existing mobile number and enjoy the freedom of using their Apple Watch independently to stay connected.”
Steps to activate your number on your Apple Watch Cellular
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone and pair the Apple Watch with iPhone
- Submit to proceed
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password to continue
- Create a passcode to create a 4 digit passcode on your Apple Watch
- Tap “Setup Mobile Data” to share your Postpaid number and plan with Apple Watch
- Enter your Vodafone postpaid number and self-care password (Note – If not registered then tap on register to login to register your phone number)
- Tap Confirm once login is successful
- Please wait at least 15 minutes while your Vodafone post paid number and plan gets shared with Apple Watch
- Wait while the Apple Watch syncs with your iPhone