• Thread starter M@zh@R
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 23
  • Views: Views 4,290

M@zh@R

Reaction score
Djokovic stays alive with marathon tiebreak win

2aj2jc.jpg

Novak Djokovic breezed into the US Open quarterfinals with a 7-6 (16/14), 6-4, 6-2 win over Alexandr Dolgopolov.

Top-seed Novak Djokovic had to fight through the longest tiebreak of his career on Monday to begin the second week of the US Open by overcoming his opponent and a testing wind into the quarterfinals.

The Serb overcame former tennis tyke Alexandr Dolgopolov of the Ukraine, who grew up on the ATP as the child of a coach, 7-6 (16-14), 6-4, 6-2.

Djokovic will next play Davis Cup teammate Janko Tipsarevic after the Serb put out Spanish veteran Juan Carlos Ferrero 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 6-2.

Djokovic admitted that the huge first set tiebreaker determined the outcome of his match.

“It took nearly half an hour, it was very important to win it. It had to be the longest tiebreak I’ve ever played and it was a turning point,” he said. “After winning that one, there was a better performance from my side.” Djokovkic admitted that he was jittery as he played on the minor showcase Armstrong court for the first time in years.

“The wind made for tricky condition. My opponent knows how to play well in those conditions,” he said. “I was a bit confused on the court at the start by his game.” Djokovic finished with 13 winners in the demanding contest. He and Tipsarevic are good friends off the court.

“At least one Serb will be in the semis, which is great for our country,” said Djokovic. “I’ve never played Janko in a Grand Slam.

But it’s a quarterfinal and we both want to win.”

Newspaper: The Hindu, New York, September 6, 2011

Ivanovic consoles herself with Serbian success

5d2gcj.jpg

(Reuters) - Former world number one Ana Ivanovic was swept out of the U.S. Open by Serena Williams in the fourth round Monday but consoled herself with the success of fellow Serbs Novak Djokovic and Janko Tipsarevic.
"It's been great to have so many players playing so well," the 2008 French Open champion she said after her 6-3 6-4 loss. "I saw Janko had a win. It's really exciting.

"People back home are very thrilled, and they wake up in the middle of the night to watch our matches. We always get messages of support, which is great. That's something that also motivates us."

Top seed Djokovic and his Davis Cup team mate Tipsarevic will play each other in the quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows.

"I think the guys, they have really good relationship with each other," Ivanovic said. "It's always tough to play someone from your own country. But I'm sure they'll be a great match."

Ivanovic said she thought the recent success of Serbians on the circuit had spurred them on to greater heights and inspired more kids back home to take up the sport.

The 16th seed said she thought there was something in the make-up of many Serbians that served them well on court.

"I think Serbians actually have quite a combustible character," she said. "Maybe that's good for tennis. Maybe that's something that drives us. Sometimes we can have fired up emotions out there."

Djokovic agreed with Ivanovic.

"There is something in the mentality that obviously helps us to be here, helped us to be successful in what we do," the world number one said after his straight-sets victory over Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine.

"The past and the life story that we have behind us ... because we have all experienced the war, we have all experienced the tough times back home, struggles to have the right conditions to become a professional player.

"In the end, those things, when you turn around, make you appreciate life much more. So I think that's an advantage of the mentality."

Djokovic, winner of this year's Australian Open and Wimbledon titles, has put together one of the most impressive seasons ever, taking his 2011 record to 61-2 on Monday.

Ivanovic said Djokovic's Wimbledon triumph had won a tremendous response back home.

"It's huge," she said. "I don't know if you have seen the celebration after he got back. It's amazing.

"To have him win that made Serbia very proud."

Asked what a U.S. Open title would mean for Djokovic, she said: "It would be amazing, because then he's going for all four eventually."

Source: Reuters

Nadal admits he has yet to read his autobiography

xcogec.jpg

Rafael Nadal has admitted that he has yet to read his autobiography.

The Spanish tennis giant has been ordered to eat “plenty of fruit” to prevent a repeat of the dramatic cramps that he suffered after Sunday’s match as he prepares for Tuesday’s US Open clash against Luxembourg’s Gilles Muller.

But beyond the cramps and the on-court rivals, Nadal must also stand up to another challenge in New York, after his own book, Rafa, co-written with journalist John Carlin, went on sale in U.S. bookstores last month.

“Rafa, in your book...” is the start to many questions pitched by journalists at the former world number one in Flushing Meadows these days.

Some of these questions are easy to answer. But others are not so simple, in particular those that refer to Nadal’s relationship with his uncle and coach Toni Nadal.

The tennis star has insisted time and again that the two get along very well, and that at 25 he no longer suffers his coach’s tough approach as he did when he was a child. Indeed, in the book’s prologue, Nadal describes his coach as a “friend.” But on Sunday he finally provided an explanation as to why he sometimes finds it so hard to answer questions on the book: he has not read it — because it is in English.

“Seriously, I didn’t. I need a lot of concentration to read the book in English, and I know my life,” he told reporters in broken English.

Nadal, however, promised to read his autobiography once it is published in Spanish next month.

For obvious reasons, Nadal’s name takes pride of place over Carlin’s in the book’s cover, but roles were evidently reversed when it came to writing it. The tennis player contributed anecdotes, memories and experiences in long conversations with the British journalist in places like Doha and Australia, but Carlin did all of writing.

It was Nadal’s father, Sebastian, who read the book before it went to print, and his agent, Carlos Costa, who gave it a final green light.

Newspaper: The Hindu, New York, September 6, 2011

New Zealand may benefit from chaos in India

28uptlc.jpg

New Zealand may emerge as the unlikely beneficiary from the standoff between the International Hockey Federation (FIH) and the Indian authorities over the hosting rights of the Champions Trophy.

The tournament, which is rated behind the Olympic Games and World Cup in the international hockey calendar, is supposed to be held in New Delhi from December 3 to 11.

But the FIH has temporarily taken away the tourney from the capital following the sports ministry’s decision to merge Hockey India (HI) and Indian Hockey Federation (IHF).

FIH president Leandro Negre is expected to meet the authorities from both the federations in India as well as the sports minister Ajay Maken to resolve the issue when he travels to India in mid-September.

If the talks fail, then the tournament, which features the top-eight countries of the world, will be taken away from India.

It has been learnt that the FIH has approached New Zealand in case New Delhi will be scrapped as hosts.

If the tournament is awarded to New Zealand, then it is likely that India won’t be allowed to participate as well. India, ranked ninth, are competing in the tournament on the virtue of being the host and if Auckland is chosen as the venue, then New Zealand, ranked seventh, will be a part of it.

The New Zealand hockey federation has to decide on whether it is prepared - financially and logistically - to commit to the tournament, which the FIH insists must be played on the original dates.

Auckland has been decided as the proposed standby venue. Malaysia and Dubai were the two other countries FIH was mulling over but the formers poor ranking (15th) and the extremely hot conditions in the Gulf country in December prompted FIH to look at Auckland, sources said. HI secretary general Narendra Batra said he wasn’t aware of any such thing.

“Mr Negre will be visiting India in the middle of this month. But I haven’t heard of the FIH keeping any other city as a standby venue,” he said.

Newspaper: DNA

Not thinking about any revenge, says Sabella

1zlelbr.jpg

Dhaka: Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella has dismissed talk of revenge when his side take on Nigeria in a friendly in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka on Tuesday.

Argentina lost 1-4 to Nigeria in Abuja in June when their former coach Sergio Batista fielded a very inexperienced side.

“I don’t think about any revenge, it’s no good for human beings, it’s no good for anyone, we will try to win but I don’t think we will go for revenge,” Sabella told a news conference on Monday.

“It’s different game because we came here with a stronger team, but we will see tomorrow,” he said.

“I don’t know what they kind of team they field tomorrow. They play Sunday against Madagascar.” Sabella said referring to Nigeria's 2-0 win in an African Nations Cup qualifying match.

Hundreds of fans cheered the Argentina squad when they arrived at Dhaka airport from the Calcutta where they defeated Venezuela 1-0 in a friendly on Friday.

Twice World Player of the Year Lionel Messi was the centre of attention and the prospect of watching the Barcelona forward sparked huge excitement in Bangladesh, a country ranked only 139th in the world but still very passionate about football.

Sabella handed Messi the captain's armband after replacing Batista as coach.

“I think there is a time when Argentina have been very strong going forward, the first thing I have to sort out is to achieve some balance between attack and defence,” said Sabella.

“We must let him (Messi) be happy. We must let him be completely free on the pitch. There are different kind of captains, one for personality and another because they are great players.”

Newspaper: The Telegraph, Tuesday , September 6 , 2011

Brazil edge Ghana in friendly ,Brazil 1-0 Ghana

j654lf.jpg

Leandro Damiao scored his first international goal as Brazil beat 10-man Ghana in an international friendly at Fulham's Craven Cottage.
Damiao ran on to a defence-splitting ball from Fernandinho and found the corner of the net from a tight angle.

It was one of the few highlights of a largely poor game in which Ronaldinho returned for his first international outing in nearly a year.

Ghana never threatened after Daniel Opare was sent off in the 32nd minute.
English referee Mike Dean handed out eight cards, one of them red after Opare was somewhat harshly shown a second yellow just after the half hour mark for clipping Lucio on the follow through.

Goalscorer Damiao, who Tottenham were interested in signing this summer, also finished off a brilliant passage of play started by the excellent Neymar but the linesman flagged the 22-year-old offside just after he had tapped the ball past Ghana goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey.

AC Milan star Pato then came off the bench and saw a well-timed header superbly tipped over.

Brazil boss Mario Menezes' recall of Ronaldinho, making his first appearance in 10 months, also paid off as the 31-year-old offered glimpses of brilliance and came close to scoring with an outstanding free-kick just before full-time.

The result eases the pressure on Menezes, who came under fire for his team's quarter-final exit from the Copa America.
Source: BBC

Mr.sudhansu said:
its not news forum..............:u

So plz ask Admin to Remove Sports News Section.
I will not Post any News.I do so much hard work to bring latest news and u disopointed me by saying this.

ohh sorry i am not hearting u
iam telling its too long and not normal to read
please give link instead.........

sorry............ sorry ...........sorry

Ss if you can't do good posting then don't break others heart.We team is here to see all.You just keep your work and we can see all.First try to correct you then others.Also your words like- yesssssssss,gooddddddddd,funyyyyyyy,.....and other Damn cheap words are giving us problem whyn't you are correcting them first.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock