Ookla’s speedtest report shows Reliance Jio’s declining 4G internet speeds

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
During the preview offer, Reliance Jio users had experienced super fast internet experience with data speeds above 50Mbps, which was way higher than average 4G speeds offered by rival Airtel and Vodafone speeds. Though, several were apprehensive that the speeds may be lower after Reliance Jio has commercially launched the service. Since commercial launch in September, several Reliance Jio users have complained about data speeds going slow, and some also reported internet not working at all. And now, Ookla, a speed testing platform, has confirmed about Reliance Jio’s deteriorating internet speeds over the last few months, smashing hopes of many Indians who perhaps thought that after Jio’s debut in the market the internet speeds will race up northward.

“It looks like mean download speeds for 4G capable phones actually decreased 23 percent month-over-month from 11.31 Mbps to 8.77 Mbps, continuing a downward trend for 2016,” Ookla said in its latest report . Ookla also cited a report of Rtn-Asia which stated that Jio’s “networks are being stretched to their breaking point.” “For now it’s safe to say that 135 Mbps is an aspiration rather than a reality for the majority of Jio’s customers as even the top 10% of tests averaged out at 17.77 Mbps in September,” the report adds.

BGR India also spoke to Dhruv Khandelwal, a
Reliance Jio user, who has been using the 4G preview service since July. He shared some screenshots with us, which show the difference in the speed offered on the service in July and on this day in October. While the report from Speedtest shows a 32.47Mbps download speed back in July, the speed as on October 7 has dropped to 4.55Mbps. And the user confirmed that both these data speeds were tested in the same area.

Iyaps Vk
@Iyapsvk
Why @reliancejio Toll-free numbers are not working in @Airtel_Presence ?????
I can't make a call to @JioCare Toll-free

sandeep gupta
@sandeep_mdi
#RelianceJio not working up to the mark jio 4g data speed

Karthik Iyer
@karthik_iyer14
It's a shame that even after so many days,
@reliancejio network is not working.These call drops are annoying. Not sure what's up!
@JioCare

Notably, Jio doesn’t have a vast user base as its rivals like Bharti Airtel and Vodafone , many analysts at the time of launch had said that Reliance Jio will stand its true test only when it matches the user base of its rivals. On the other hands, Reliance Jio blames its own competitors for the services disruption. Reliance Jio recently made live data on call drops its users are experiencing due to Airtel, Vodafone and Idea not providing enough interconnectivity. The Mukesh Ambani-run firm added a link on its website detailing call drops experienced during 24-hour duration. Reliance Jio put out data for September 22 saying over 12 crore out of 15 crore call attempts by its users failed. The data would be updated periodically.

Amid the debate of insufficient PoI’s and slowing data speeds, Reliance Jio at the conclusion of India’s biggest spectrum auction announced that it has successfully acquired the right to use 269.2MHz spectrum across all 22 service areas in India in the latest auctions. Jio paid around Rs 13,672 crore for the rights. The company renewed its expiring spectrum in 800 MHz band in Gujarat circle and purchased additional spectrum in the 800 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2300 MHz bands at 6.5 percent premium to reserve price.

http://www.bgr.in/news/ooklas-speedtest-report-shows-reliance-jios-declining-4g-internet-speeds/

Its because u can use 4 GB daily for free so inspite of less users there is more usage of jio network than that of Airtel or vodafone. Once the free offer is gone the speeds will increase as they users will have to pay to use which will bring down the usage. Plus they still need to do some optimization.

I used to get to 25 to 30mbps speed before and after the welcome offer.

The speed variation may be due to network congestion... In my area the number of users are less. So I am getting the same speed.

Kindly merge my threads if needed.
Ookla has released a report based on Speed Tests done in India.
This Report shows an exponential increase in 4G LTE users across India.
Rkez4Yh.jpg

Reliance Jio 's download Speed decreased 23% month-over-month from 11.31 Mbps to 8.77 Mbps, continuing a downward trend : Ookla Report
ngNpww0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock