Moto G 5G

• Thread starter iSK
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 38
  • Views: Views 2,346
Affordable 5G??? :wall: Where is the 5G network? Hell, where is the 5G spectrum auction first???

Instead of doing such nasty and good for nothing stunts, they should give 4G+ 3CA phones around 20k range.

Affordable 5G??? :wall: Where is the 5G network? Hell, where is the 5G spectrum auction first???
I get it. I used to think the same. But there is another way of looking at it-

2021 is almost here. And if I buy a phone now, I will most likely use it for at least 3 years (or maybe even 4). That is till 2024-25. And by that time 5G should be more than enough mature. But I will be stuck with 4G.

If you change your smartphone every one or two year, then you can go ahead with a 4G phone. There should be no problem.

If your budget is limited and there are no 5G phones available under your budget, then I won't recommend you to spend extra just for 5G. Value for money comes first.

There should be many 5G smartphones coming next year under ₹20k range, during the first quarter itself.

If you really use the phone for upto 4 years, then its really great. Mother Earth will really thank you.

I use two phones. Couple of years back, I used to change them once a year. But last time, I used the phones for full 2 years (Poco F1 Armoured edition & Moto 1 Power both with 2CA), because they are still good enough for my needs. This year I replaced them and now Samsung promised 3 years of updates. I will try to use them for 3 years. Thanks for the inspiration bro...

I get it. I used to think the same. But there is another way of looking at it-

2021 is almost here. And if I buy a phone now, I will most likely use it for at least 3 years (or maybe even 4). That is till 2024-25. And by that time 5G should be more than enough mature. But I will be stuck with 4G.
That makes absolute sense.

There might be a possible caveat though. Like @kanagadeepan pointed out, the auctions haven't happened yet. That leaves us with a thing or two to consider whenever 5G happens in India, and well, yeah, solidify.

One of the things that I am vary of in buying a 5G device well before 5G happens in India, would be the spectrum/band that our Indian Telecom networks eventually end up operating 5G in.

As you might be already aware, 5G networks primarily operate in 3 different spectrums, viz. Low, Mid and High frequency bands. The Low & Mid operate in 'under 6Ghz' frequencies (called as the "sub 6" Spectrum for 5G). The High frequency band operates in 'above 24Ghz' bands (called as the "mmWave" Spectrum for 5G). While the Low & Mid 5G bands would offer only speeds upto existing 4G+ network speeds, or only slight improvements in speeds over the existing 4G+ speeds, it is the mmWave Spectrum (the High band), that will offer those so called "ultra high" promised speeds on 5G networks.

So apparently, all of our Indian telecom companies are primarily after the mmWave spectrum. However, when the Indian Government planned for the proposed auction for 5G network spectrums, it did not include the mmWave spectrum in the announcement for auctions. They planned the auction only for the sub 6 5G spectrums.

Moreover, countries around the world are using various combinations of the three different 5G spectrums for their 5G networks. Even in the U.S, not all telecom companies are using just the mmWave spectrum. Because, much like the 5Ghz networks in our modems /routers at home, their signal range is limited. Meaning, they would require many more towers than telecoms have currently deployed for their existing 4G networks. So, even in the US, telecom companies are using a combination of the sub 6 and mmWave spectrums, so that they could cover a lot of ground.

Also, within the mmWave spectrum, there are 2 main bands that countries around the world are using. The US is mainly using the 28Ghz band for its mmWave spectrum. Some other countries are using the 26Ghz spectrum as their main band for the mmWave spectrum. As such, there is currently no 'one defined band/frequency' accepted worldwide, as far as the mmWave spectrum goes. Because countries/telecom companies seem to be making it up as they go. After all, every one is a learner in this ever evolving world of 5G. So, we cannot really blame anyone.

Then comes the much complicated Indian scenario. As soon as the Indian Government proposed the spectrum auctions last year, the ISRO and the Denfence Ministry of India jumped in, staking claim that they are already using certain frequencies in the sub 6 and mmWave (specifically the 26Ghz one) spectrums, for their own satellite communications. As such, they asked the DoT (Department of Telecommunications) to not allow the 26Ghz spectrum for commercial 5G telecom networks. Even the government accepted their request at that time.

However, most of our Indian telecom companies are seemingly after the 26Ghz spectrum. They were continuously pressuring the government to include the 26Ghz too as part of the auctions. Even in July 2020, Jio applied for testing in the 26Ghz spectrum. It seems that the government has finally yielded to their requests. In a latest development, last month (October 2020), the DoT has asked the ISRO and the Defense Ministry to vacate a good chunk of the 26Ghz spectrum.

So, the supposed mmWave spectrum that the Indian Government will offer at first, seems to be the 26Ghz spectrum. Even our telecom companies have been requesting for that.

However, the main mmWave spectrum currently used in the US and a few other countries, is the 28Ghz spectrum.

Plus, there is no significant dialogue about the 28Ghz spectrum in India. Are our telecom companies going for it? Whenever it does, will the government auction the 28Ghz spectrum along with the 26Ghz spectrum?

As of now, with no 5G networks in India, the 5G devices currently available in India might not necessarily support the 26Ghz spectrum for mmWave. Instead for example, an iPhone (an American device) might support only the 28Ghz spectrum, and not the 26Ghz spectrum that is highly sought after by Indian telecom companies right now.

In addition, our government seems to be hell bent on banning Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE from participating in the 5G network trials. Their devices would be much cheaper for our telecom companies to use for their 5G trials. Now with the ban, they might have to go for other, higher priced alternatives.

This significantly increases the 5G testing budget for our telecom companies. In addition, the Indian government's 5G spectrum pricing appears to be the highest in the world, requiring not less than an investment of Rs.50,000 Crores (for purchasing around 100Mhz of 5G Spectrum, which would be required for a telecom company for rolling out their 5G network all over India).

Considering all of this, and the main question of 26Ghz vs 28Ghz deployment by Indian telecom companies, I would not suggest buying a new 5G phone, if one of your main (or only) motivating factor, is that it supports 5G today.

Because, what if we buy a device that primarily supports 28Ghz mmWave today, but then our telecom companies roll out 5G in the 26Ghz spectrum?

Please give a read to these articles for further clarity:

1) To 5G or not to 5G: In India, it's not really a question

2) Indian operators still seeking clarity on 26 GHz band for 5G - Developing Telecoms

3) https://www.thewire.in/article/gove...f-space-defence-ministry-5g-services-spectrum

Last edited:
ok. So I now have an option to replace my aging Mi A1, which is still working good btw, I may shift to Moto G 5G whenever 5G comes or when Mi A1 dies, whichever happens first

ok. So I now have an option to replace my aging Mi A1, which is still working good btw, I may shift to Moto G 5G whenever 5G comes or when Mi A1 dies, whichever happens first
Same Here. My phone is falling apart and the Battery has degraded drastically. I will wait for a few months till it's unusable. I might have ordered it in the first sale itself if they would've had an AMOLED Display.

BTW, by the time 5G comes, there will most probably be lots of options to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock