Is Chromium browser safe and same as Chrome ?

Newb_Dxer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I tried upgrading to Ubuntu 16 from within Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for installing Chrome browser but failed repeatedly.
May be some problem at my end.

However,I have downloaded "Chromium Browser" and it is asking me to sign in with my Google account to import settings ,bookmarks,passwords etc.

Is Chromium same as Chrome and is it safe to sign in to Google account on Chromium ?

Is it possible to upload pc folders to Google Drive via Chromium like we do with Chrome ?

Is Chromium also by Google or some third party ?

Thanks,

Chromium is an open-source web browser project started by Google, to provide the source code for the proprietary Google Chrome browser. The two browsers share the majority of code and features, though there are some minor differences in features, logos and they have different licensing. Google chrome is based on chromium.
I think it's safe to sign in and you should not have any problem uploading folder to google drive 
Read this for more info: What’s the Difference Between Chromium and Chrome?

sumitroy said:
Chromium is an open-source web browser project started by Google, to provide the source code for the proprietary Google Chrome browser. The two browsers share the majority of code and features, though there are some minor differences in features, logos and they have different licensing. Google chrome is based on chromium.
I think it's safe to sign in and you should not have any problem uploading folder to google drive 
Read this for more info: What’s the Difference Between Chromium and Chrome?

Bro,

Thanks for the prompt reply and info.

So it is confirmed that Chromium is also from Google ?

Newb_Dxer said:
Bro,

Thanks for the prompt reply and info.

So it is confirmed that Chromium is also from Google ?

yeah, Chromium is an open-source web browser project started by Google
and chromium os  is also open source started by google and chrome os is based on that

sumitroy said:
yeah, Chromium is an open-source web browser project started by Google
and chromium os  is also open source started by google and chrome os is based on that

Thanks,

Now headache to download Chrome on Ubuntu is over.I will rely on Chromium only as it is as safe as Chrome since both are from Google.

Meanwhile I will keep trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.May be it has more features.

Regards

In chromium as it is open source so there are few proprietary features which are present in chrome are missing.

These are

Flash player, aac, h. 264 codes support, MP3 support etc.

Also from security point of view make sure chromium sandbox is enabled.

You also hv to update chromium manually when new builds are available as there in no built-in updater where as chrome update automatically.

Sarkar said:
In chromium as it is open source so there are few proprietary features which are present in chrome are missing.

These are

Flash player, aac, h. 264 codes support, MP3 support etc.

Also from security point of view make sure chromium sandbox is enabled.

You also hv to update chromium manually when new builds are available as there in no built-in updater where as chrome update automatically.

Bro,

Thanks for all this info.

Where is this Chromium Sandbox and how to enable it ?

Are there any alternatives for Flash player, aac, h. 264 codes support, MP3 support for Chromium ?

Last but not least,which of these is the safest :Ubuntu default browser,Chrome,Firefox or Chromium browser ?

Default Ubuntu browser is Firefox. And Firefox uses Google safe browsing API.

Why don't you install Chrome in Ubuntu? Just download Chrome deb file from Google Chrome site and install it. It is same like downloading chrome exe file and install in Windows.

Just download Chrome deb file as it is for Ubuntu and don't download Chrome rpm file as that is for fedora.

Sarkar said:
Default Ubuntu browser is Firefox. And Firefox uses Google safe browsing API.

Why don't you install Chrome in Ubuntu? Just download Chrome deb file from Google Chrome site and install it. It is same like downloading chrome exe file and install in Windows.

Just download Chrome deb file as it is for Ubuntu and don't download Chrome rpm file as that is for fedora.

Yes I have tried downloading Chrome many times on Ubuntu but what I got is a Chrome browser which does not browse at all.It is just Chrome in name and nothing else.When I write some internet address and hit enter nothing happens.Now I dont even know how to delete this Chrome so that I can try another version of it !

In my case there are 2 default browsers in Ubuntu : One is Firefox and the other I dont know the name but it came with Ubuntu and has world map with white dots as the icon,so I call it default Ubuntu browser.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock