Discussion India's new Motor Vehicle Act for violating traffic rules causing huge penalties on many

• Thread starter venky
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 68
  • Views: Views 9,284

Are you in favor of the new fine?

• Total voters
Odisha truck driver fined Rs 86,500, the highest in country under MV Act

Truck driver Ashok Jadav was fined on September 3 but the picture of the challan went viral on social media on Saturday evening.

Sambalpur’s regional transport officer Lalit Mohan Behera said Jadav was penalised for allowing an unauthorised person to drive (Rs 5,000), driving without a licence (Rs 5,000), overloading with an excess of 18 tonne (Rs 56,000), carrying over dimension projections (Rs 20,000) and general offence (Rs 500).

Though the total fine amount was Rs 86,500, the driver paid Rs 70,000 after negotiating with authorities for more than five hours.

Odisha is among the few states which started implementing the amended MV act from September 1 when it came into force. It has grossed the highest penalty in the country under the new MV Act in the first four days of its implementation by collecting over Rs 88 lakh.

While I travelled at many places including Singapore and Europe, the traffic discipline there is amazing. People follow the rules correctly and fines are also high do that the people follow the rules.

Again India is always an exception, the high fines are just a measure to keep the traffic offender under control. It's so bad to drive that I have stopped driving and just go on my bike. Worst is the taxi people who just overtake anyhow.

Someone said here "how will the poor and middle class pay the fines" do that means the people will still continue to break the traffic rules but can't afford to pay the fine.

Why pay the fine if all u can do is follow the rules correctly without any violation. Indian roads will be a much better place then to drive for people like me.

Bang on the point @Anish Pai bro. People have habit of giving excuses.Govt did the right thing but same yardstick should be applied to all including those who are responsible for potholes and upkeep of roads..

Last edited:
Goa Govt to reduce the fines in the amended motor vehicle act. Also new motor vehicle act will come into force once the roads are repaired.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock