Hussey not averse to Big Bash rule changes

Reaction score
Michael Hussey has given a cautious thumbs-up to some of the proposed new rules for next season's Big Bash League. The eight-team tournament might include features such as a super-over in which the batting team has its runs doubled, and the possibility that spectators could keep balls hit into the crowd.

Cricket Australia asked fans to voice their opinions on the ideas via an online survey last week, seven months before the tournament is expected to kick off. Hussey has just arrived back in Perth after playing a key role in the IPL final victory for Chennai Super Kings, and he said the concept of the super-over "sounds all right".

"Who calls which over it is? The captain? I'd like it if I was batting, I'd call the super over as soon as I got out there," Hussey said. "I haven't thought about it too much but the concept sounds all right, especially if there was a Chris Gayle at the crease. He had a couple of overs in the IPL where he went for 27 and 34 runs off overs. It could almost be game over if he had one of those overs."

Hussey said the idea of fans being able to keep balls hit into the crowd had some merit. However, he said it was important the batsman was not disadvantaged for having cleared the fence.

"It depends how green the wicket is," he said. "If it gets to the 15th over and the wicket is still green, I don't want a new ball coming out, that's for sure. But I think it's a good idea, a bit like baseball, maybe a souvenir for a kid out there. They are going to need a lot of back-up balls of the same over range. I don't think it's the worst idea."

Another proposal would allow bowlers to send down two bouncers per over, which Hussey said was fair for what has otherwise been seen as a batsman's game. Hussey has never played a Big Bash match for Western Australia, having been on international duties during December and January ever since the tournament began.

He's just as unlikely to feature in this summer's tournament, with the eight city-based sides almost certain to be without Australia's star players due to international commitments. That looms as a potential problem for the Big Bash League, which Hussey said would never be as big as the IPL.

"It won't be of the same magnitude because of the volume of money they spend on their tournament compared with what we could spend on ours," Hussey said. "But I think in terms of the quality of cricket we can definitely compete, attract some overseas players.

"I guess we are a little limited in that we can't attract all countries because when they play domestically clashes with our summer. But we can attract some real quality international players and we know that our first class system and our core players are very, very good.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/517283.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock