General Discussions about Vi (Vodafone Idea)

On dialing *121# from my VI number, I get this message as USSD Response:
Hello! We're upgrading our network to 4G-only.

Does this mean 3G shutdown is eventual now in more Circles?

On dialing *121# from my VI number, I get this message as USSD Response:
Hello! We're upgrading our network to 4G-only.

Does this mean 3G shutdown is eventual now in more Circles?
All the pvt telecom operators will become 4G only because IUC will become zero from 01.01.2021. In bill & keep system when there will be no IUC gain from other operators it will be costly for operators to maintain circuit switched network of 3G & 2G. Moreover, in 4G raising ARPU of customers is easy.

Only BSNL as part of their public service obligation might continue to operate on 2G. So all those customers who don't have smartphones and not planning on to get one eventually have to port into BSNL to continue using their old analogue 2G phones.

Meanwhile, at our place at Santragachi, West Bengal, Vodafone is having terrible 4G VolTe experience...so much so that my friend can't make calls on it. He has to deliberately keep his Vodafone SIM on 2G only mode just for the calls to get through. Shows the current state of affairs for Vodafone network.

Last edited:
All the pvt telecom operators will become 4G only because IUC will become zero from 01.01.2021. In bill & keep system when there will be no IUC gain from other operators it will be costly for operators to maintain circuit switched network of 3G & 2G. Moreover, in 4G raising ARPU of customers is easy.

Only BSNL as part of their public service obligation might continue to operate on 2G. So all those customers who don't have smartphones and not planning on to get one eventually have to port into BSNL to continue using their old analogue 2G phones.

Meanwhile, at our place at Santragachi, West Bengal, Vodafone is having terrible 4G VolTe experience...so much so that my friend can't make calls on it. He has to deliberately keep his Vodafone SIM on 2G only mode just for the calls to get through. Shows the current state of affairs for Vodafone network.
When operators say 4G-only, does that mean even 2G will not be there? This will be a huge step, I still think a far fetched dream for India. Yes, if Jio can achieve it, why not the other operators? But I doubt Vi and Airtel will shut off 2G as well as early as 2021.
Thoughts?

When operators say 4G-only, does that mean even 2G will not be there? This will be a huge step, I still think a far fetched dream for India. Yes, if Jio can achieve it, why not the other operators? But I doubt Vi and Airtel will shut off 2G as well as early as 2021.
Thoughts?
Jio have their 4g phones so they archived
Other operators cant do

Thoughts?

I don't think switching off 2G network makes sense for the old operators. Still many people use 2G feature phones & it even helps people for calling in non-VOLTE enabled phones. Operators should definetely increase 4G coverage but still 2G can be run for few more years. As for comparison with Jio goes, it has since launch been a 4G operator whereas other operators had to carry their legacy 2G customers. So 2G is a good thing for old customers only till they are not willing to upgrade to 4G.

Thoughts?
There is a huge difference between Jio & others bro Jio started with 4G only so customer those who want they joined as a 4G customer so no 2G customer with them .. But AV! Story is different coz they have started with 2G and still they have N number of 2G customer so it's not possible to shutdown 2G service

There is a huge difference between Jio & others bro Jio started with 4G only so customer those who want they joined as a 4G customer so no 2G customer with them .. But AV! Story is different coz they have started with 2G and still they have N number of 2G customer so it's not possible to shutdown 2G service
Very well said. The point of existing customers makes all the difference. About a year back Airtel CEO Vittal said they have no plans to shutdown 2G. So the way forward is 4G+2G only for now.
Actually I was asking this as I have 3 backup phones which are 3G Phones. But they will now only be as good as 2G phones, unless I use them with WiFI / Hotspot from another phone. Basically, SIM usage in such 3G phones is now completely restricted to phone calls only.

No plans to shut down 2G services, says Airtel CEO

Very well said. The point of existing customers makes all the difference. About a year back Airtel CEO Vittal said they have no plans to shutdown 2G. So the way forward is 4G+2G only for now.
Actually I was asking this as I have 3 backup phones which are 3G Phones. But they will now only be as good as 2G phones, unless I use them with WiFI / Hotspot from another phone. Basically, SIM usage in such 3G phones is now completely restricted to phone calls only.

No plans to shut down 2G services, says Airtel CEO
And headache will start for Jio also once 5G introduced but as of now no issues for Jio unlike others

Yes 2G shut down by the legacy oparetors will take another 5 years approx, hopefully by 2025 they won't have enough 2G subscribers to be able to justify the use case. And this process of 2G to 4G migration will be further catalysed by Jio with its subsidised network locked entry level 4G smartphones and smart feature phones. If the Jio Google partnership is successful in cracking the entry level barrier in smartphone prices through carrier bundling then the goal may even be achieved as early as 2023.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock