Chanderpaul to become most capped Windies player

Reaction score
Veteran left-handed batsman Shiv Chanderpaul will on Wednesday eclipse legendary former fast bowler Courtney Walsh as the most capped West Indies player when he turns out for the third Test against India.

The 36-year-old Chanderpaul is now level on Walsh with 132 Tests and will set the new mark when Dominica hosts its first ever Test match at Windsor Park.

"Congratulations on this well-deserved milestone for Shiv. He has certainly played the game in the right way and has shown great dedication and commitment to the team and the region, always displaying true determination and fighting spirit throughout his career," said Walsh, who holds the record for the most wickets by a West Indies bowler with 519 scalps.

"I am proud to have held the record for the length of time that I did - not many bowlers stay in the game for so long - but I am happy that Shiv is the one who has broken it, having still been a member of the team when he was just starting out."

Chanderpaul has had an illustrious Test career, scoring 9,228 runs at an average of 48.56 with 22 centuries, to be second on the all-time West Indies list behind the prodigious Brian Lara (11,953).

Since making his debut in 1994, the lean Guyanese has become known for his unflappable temperament and obdurate batting, and has been a linchpin in the regional side's line up for the last decade.

Regional players union president Dinanath Ramnarine was also full of praise for Chanderpaul, labelling him the 'Energizer-bunny of West Indies cricket'.

"It is true that he keeps going and going but there is more to him than longevity. He is a fighter and hence his nickname 'Tiger'," said Ramnarine.

"He is a serious and dedicated Caribbean professional and a role model for every young cricketer. He has become a legend in his own time and has earned our respect as a player and as a person."

"We wish him well and know that he will always do his best for his team and for the West Indies."

Chanderpaul has had a lean run in recent months, managing just 165 runs from six Test innings.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/newsdetails.php?newsId=16182_1309957920

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock