Discussion Are you fine with OTT content being regulated and censored by TRAI?

Should OTT content be censored & regulated by TRAI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shreyaskini

Reaction score
I had a long debate with a friend of mine today regarding this topic and he was constantly telling me how OTT content has too much n*d*ty and they use foul language so he's in favour of TRAI interfering in this matter and regulating it to make it more family friendly.

My question to you guys is if it means your favourite shows be it English or Indian such as Sacred games, Mirzapur etc will have a shorter run time and not have any swearing.

Would you like to see n*d*ty, strong language and s#x be completely eliminated/censored? If Yes, then why and if No, then will you take any steps to protest against TRAI. Should we just obey whatever TRAI decides to do and respect their decisions? Don't we as a democracy have rights to watch what we want to?

My opinion is that people are paying a premium to get the content as it is and these shows are made for mature audiences. If it's censored like how Game of Thrones was on HBO India then people will resort to piracy since they might miss out on a lot of things.
(Poll is only for content available only online)

Yes, there should be a family friendly version of shows along with the uncut version. Cuz, if I want to move my family to OTT. I want to make it family friendly atleast get rid of nud*ty. Usually my parents are cool kind. They enjoy shows like Sacred Games. But I feel uncomfortable knowing they watch such vulgar things. Family audience will gross you more revenue than youths who want uncut version to just pirate it.
Edit : They need to learn from Deadpool 2. The family friendly version with few curse words is watchable and less offensive for kids.

Last edited:
I had a long debate with a friend of mine today regarding this topic and he was constantly telling me how OTT content has too much n*d*ty and they use foul language so he's in favour of TRAI interfering in this matter and regulating it to make it more family friendly.

My question to you guys is if it means your favourite shows be it English or Indian such as Sacred games, Mirzapur etc will have a shorter run time and not have any swearing.

Would you like to see n*d*ty, strong language and s#x be completely eliminated/censored? If Yes, then why and if No, then will you take any steps to protest against TRAI. Should we just obey whatever TRAI decides to do and respect their decisions? Don't we as a democracy have rights to watch what we want to?

My opinion is that people are paying a premium to get the content as it is and these shows are made for mature audiences. If it's censored like how Game of Thrones was on HBO India then people will resort to piracy since they might miss out on a lot of things.
(Poll is only for content available only online)
They should provide in two version. Like one is Uncut another is censored. So that we have the option to watch which ever we want. Like we have now different language option. Like that i think it is possible.
And strictly TRAI should stay away from this OTT platform. They don't have any idea about what the customer want. All they do is just ruining everything. Like that DTH!!

Absolutely not. Users pay for OTT content, it's their device, it's their data and it's their choice to watch whatever they want. Censoring TV is one thing censoring OTT is completely different.

Organizations like TRAI will start misusing this power from the very first day, it will give unlimited power to government to censor anything. OTT have both good and bad programs but it should depend on us not TRAI to decide what we watch online.

Last edited:
Those who want 2 versions please understand this way there will be lots of confusion while you do this. Already the library is not having a good UI and sometimes there's buffering even with high speed internet. OTT service is being managed horribly and you want TRAI who is one of the worst authorities in the country to interfere in this and destroy good content?

Netflix with Sacred games and Prime with Laakhon Mein Ek, Mirzapur, Inside Edge has shown what India is capable of and without the usage of strong language in these shows i doubt it will be really authentic. Let's be honest guys in day to day usage many of us curse like anything and no one cares about that. But seriously if you guys want a Family friendly version of shows like Game Of Thrones, Spartacus etc then idk what to say😌

Absolutely not. Users pay for OTT content, it's their device, it's their data and it's their choice to watch whatever they want. Censoring TV is one thing censoring OTT is completely different.

Organizations like TRAI will start misusing this power from the very first day, it will give unlimited power to government to censor anything. OTT have both good and bad programs but it should depend on us not TRAI to decide what we watch online.
Bro i am proud of you. Your post is 100% correct. We all know how badly TRAI messed up with the cable TV regulations and in that poll we saw a majority of members who said they were unhappy with the regulations. Now OTT is extremely expensive already and if they intervene and decide to enforce unnecessary crap on these providers i feel like people will be fed up and go back to torrents.

I don't think Netflix had much success here and their library is too huge. Now if they have to censor all their shows just for few people then it will probably even end up being more expensive as people here need to understand they will need more labour for this work. I'm highly against this.

Those who want 2 versions please understand this way there will be lots of confusion while you do this. Already the library is not having a good UI and sometimes there's buffering even with high speed internet. OTT service is being managed horribly and you want TRAI who is one of the worst authorities in the country to interfere in this and destroy good content?

Netflix with Sacred games and Prime with Laakhon Mein Ek, Mirzapur, Inside Edge has shown what India is capable of and without the usage of strong language in these shows i doubt it will be really authentic. Let's be honest guys in day to day usage many of us curse like anything and no one cares about that. But seriously if you guys want a Family friendly version of shows like Game Of Thrones, Spartacus etc then idk what to say😌
Not encouraging piracy here. Do you know family friendly torrent is an actual thing? And is really popular. GOT family version is the most preferred show.

Not encouraging piracy here. Do you know family friendly torrent is an actual thing? And is really popular.
But honestly is Netflix and Hotstar having enough subscribers in India to make a separate version? I remember one finale of GOT which aired on HBO India cause a major debate on FB for how short the run time was and at the time there was no Hotstar. People had to rely on Torrents to get the episode as it was.

I think it should not be censored because audience is capable enough to decide what to watch and what not to watch...
People can choose the shows according to their requirements. But yes it should be mentioned in the description of the shows that this one is for family audience and that one is adult. I think that's enough.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock