Discussion Are you fine with OTT content being regulated and censored by TRAI?

Should OTT content be censored & regulated by TRAI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But honestly is Netflix and Hotstar having enough subscribers in India to make a separate version? I remember one finale of GOT which aired on HBO India cause a major debate on FB for how short the run time was and at the time there was no Hotstar. People had to rely on Torrents to get the episode as it was.
Why don't they ask the subscriber whether they want a family friendly version of the show or not?
I think it should not be censored because audience is capable enough to decide what to watch and what not to watch...
People can choose the shows according to their requirements. But yes it should be mentioned in the description of the shows that this one is for family audience and that one is adult. I think that's enough.
Here's a challenge. Ask them to feature vulgar stuff on promos too. Let's see how many paying customers they gain.

I think it should not be censored because audience is capable enough to decide what to watch and what not to watch...
People can choose the shows according to their requirements. But yes it should be mentioned in the description of the shows that this one is for family audience and that one is adult. I think that's enough.
Netflix already does this. This is how it works worldwide. If a show isn't family friendly then no point censoring it imo. That's what ratings are for. I'd not be comfortable allowing kids to watch the shows i mentioned. There's already so many family shows on there. My question was do we need to censor shows meant for adults only? What's the point of this.

Here's a challenge. Ask them to feature vulgar stuff on promos too. Let's see how many paying customers they gain.
Bro I feel its not needed because when it is already mentioned that this show contains adult content then it is automatically justified that it contains vulgar stuff too and I feel there should not be any problem with it..

Netflix already does this. This is how it works worldwide. If a show isn't family friendly then no point censoring it imo. That's what ratings are for. I'd not be comfortable allowing kids to watch the shows i mentioned. There's already so many family shows on there. My question was do we need to censor shows meant for adults only? What's the point of this.
I was watching OITNB. It was fine until I had to watch a n*de trans person. That's like crossing some sort of line.

Why don't they ask the subscriber whether they want a family friendly version of the show or not?

Bro if Netflix censors their shows i am fine but do you want TRAI to do it? My question here is simple. Are you having faith in them to do that? I rather have the provider do it than some 3rd party who might do a bad job with it.

They clearly mention Content Rating on description page. Anyone would know what they are going to watch before clicking on that play button, so what's need for censoring?

Screenshot-20190715-164749-Prime-Video.png

Screenshot-20190715-164835-Netflix.png

Screenshot-20190715-164947-Chrome.png

Bro if Netflix censors their shows i am fine but do you want TRAI to do it? My question here is simple. Are you having faith in them to do that? I rather have the provider do it than some 3rd party who might do a bad job with it.
TRAI will never do it, They will mandate the providers to do it. SO if this regulation goes through, it is up to OTT apps to come up with censorship as and when asked by TRAI.

They clearly mention Content Rating on description page. Anyone would know what they are going to watch before clicking on that play button, so what's need for censoring?

Screenshot-20190715-164749-Prime-Video.png

Screenshot-20190715-164835-Netflix.png

Screenshot-20190715-164947-Chrome.png
Exactly . There is no point of that consultation paper. I think this can also be the case for traditional channels and stuff on TVs too, now that TRAI regulations are in place

There should be a light touch regulation in the name of censorship where only grave issues like depiction of child abuse (sexual or otherwise) and acts promoting terrorism or other anti-national feelings should be censored. Every other bold topic like n*d*ty or use of expletive words should be allowed with the video having the relevant age specific certification of G/PG/R/NC-17 etc. and be left to the viewers discretion as to what content they wish to watch. At max have a pin regulated parental lock or password regulated adult and child profiles within the same OTT account. But to have the whole platform heavily cencored in the name of 'Bhartiya Sanskar' is ludicrous.

There should be a light touch regulation in the name of censorship where only grave issues like depiction of child abuse (sexual or otherwise) and acts promoting terrorism or other anti-national feelings should be censored. Every other bold topic like n*d*ty or use of expletive words should be allowed with the video having the relevant age specific certification of G/PG/R/NC-17 etc. and be left to the viewers discretion as to what content they wish to watch. At max have a pin regulated parental lock or password regulated adult and child profiles within the same OTT account. But to have the whole platform heavily cencored in the name of 'Bhartiya Sanskar' is ludicrous.
Your suggestion is brilliant. The last sentence is epic 😂

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock