Discussion Is Cableificiation of OTT even worth it?

• Thread starter iDJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 5
  • Views: Views 593

iDJ

Elite
Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
I am using OTT platforms since 2017 onwards and watching OTT content since 2013. After COVID lockdown when broadband penetration suddenly increased in the market. OTT apps started coming as a bundle like cable packages through OTT aggregator like OTT Play, Tata Play Binge, Jio Fiber, Airtel Xstream etc. Ever since than I have noticed the quality of the content going downhill specially when it comes to local apps like Zee5, Alt Balaji, Eros Now etc. Although OTT aggregator has it's own advantage as it's 90% cheaper to individually subscribing to these apps. But you got nothing special in the name of local original content where only one app in such apps are relevant because of international content and sports.

Let's say JioFiber offers Sony Liv, Hotstar, Zee5, Hoichoi, SunNXT, Alt Balaji, Discovery+, Docubay, Lionsgate Play and too lazy to name others for ₹200. Whereas one Disney+ is all we want. We are paying for unwanted apps wherein we can pay a little extra on top of ₹200 and get the OTTs we actually want which are likes of Netflix and Prime Video. Even sports specific OTT plans are missing. It's both waste of money and encouraging mediocrity. Most people who buys such service ends up watching YouTube for content. This is the reality.

Do you also feel that likes of JioFiber OTT, Tata Play Binge etc. are plain wastage of money?

I personally will choose a smartbox or smart tv over the ones that comes from broadband provider and buy likes of Netflix subscription than doomscroll over useless content. ₹199 spent on Netflix is better than ₹236 for things I don't want.

Last edited:
Alt Balaji is for gandhi baat shows. Zee5 has poorest interface, PQ and poorest content of all.Hotstar has sports and some original shows, but doesn’t support above 720p what I feel.sony has good pq on its content but almost no .movie library. Amazon has good content but no sports property. Netflix isn't affordable. Jio cinema has highest content but full of ad and laggy app..in the last few days, youtube has become crowded with very poorest of contents. So it is not worth to subscribe premium.

How about an OTT app with all movies and shows but with content capped plans.

Basic plan - 10 movies, 2 series, 50 other type content per month
Premium plan - 100 movies, 20 series, 500 other type content per month

Any additional content must be rented.

Sony LIV is the only OTT offering standard content otherwise wether its Prime Video or Netflix all are filling gaps with unnecessary content. Even Discovery is doing same with OTT nothing to offer but has price tag on it. JioCinema is digestive as it's not charging for atleast bogus content.
Main culprit behind this low standard is ZEE5 which is making series and web movies on thok ke bhav.

Last edited:
How about an OTT app with all movies and shows but with content capped plans.

Basic plan - 10 movies, 2 series, 50 other type content per month
Premium plan - 100 movies, 20 series, 500 other type content per month

Any additional content must be rented.
Hmm, good idea. But, will all the right holders co-operate if this will happen somehow ? And, if this actually happens, then it will make the binge watching 10 times more easy, affordable and fast.

Last edited:
Hmm, good idea. But, will all the right holders co-operate if this will happen somehow ? And, if this actually happens, then it will make the binge watching 10 times more easy, affordable and fast.
Jio may be able to pull it off at least with Indian content.

With foreign content, it could be difficult. If it was that easy, Apple and Google could have provided it since they have almost all the Hollywood movies in their rental stores.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock