YouTube Premium is getting a price hike

Prithi Deb

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Two different Redditors posted screenshots of emails they received this afternoon. The email is sparse for details, simply stating that the price for YouTube Premium family plans has been bumped up to $23 CAD per month. That's a $5 cost increase, effective starting on the next billing cycle for current subscribers, and immediately for new subscribers. Daniel Bader, Technical Brands Lead at Valnet and former AP EIC, confirmed this new price is already live when trying to sign up in Canada. Not long after, these prices also rolled out to US customers, both with current subscriptions and those looking to sign up.
Although we initially only saw emails rolling in for price hikes in Canada, emails to US subscribers have also popped up on Reddit, proving this isn't a regional change at all. Commenters have also spotted the change in the UK, Turkey, and Argentina.

I guess it would be wise to top-up with the annual plan before the price hike comes to India.

Worse is sponsored ads inbetween videos. YouTube Vance has feature to skip. YouTube itself charging us money for same videos doesn't.
Same option is available in SmartTube for Android smart Tv. It's called skip sponsored and promotional content. But the segments marked and sponsored and promotional are crowdsourced so they are not exact in the start and stop timestamps. Latest videos don't have this marked for the initial few hours or days of posting. The ones with the most views usually have the most precisely marked segments as people vote for them as accurate or inaccurate.

I don`t have any problem with ads. They remind me to drink water or stare some object 20 feet away for 20 seconds or just give me time to answer nature`s call.
If I don`t have any above work, then I simply mute it. The best thing is ads are in regional language which I don`t understand hence it goes over my head.

I don`t have any problem with ads. They remind me to drink water or stare some object 20 feet away for 20 seconds or just give me time to answer nature`s call.
If I don`t have any above work, then I simply mute it. The best thing is ads are in regional language which I don`t understand hence it goes over my head.
The problem with youtube ads is there placement irritating and if we opt premium for few months.. It is very difficult to watch youtube without premium.. I tried several times by pausing the subscription... Even my family also mostly addicted to premium version... They are okay if I stopped netflix, even hotstar also they were OK for few days... But not with youtube premium... It is like a necessity for my family 😓
If they increase prices in India maybe I will stop for few days... But I am pretty sure I will subscribe again within few days.. 🥲

The problem with youtube ads is there placement irritating and if we opt premium for few months.. It is very difficult to watch youtube without premium.. I tried several times by pausing the subscription... Even my family also mostly addicted to premium version... They are okay if I stopped netflix, even hotstar also they were OK for few days... But not with youtube premium... It is like a necessity for my family 😓
If they increase prices in India maybe I will stop for few days... But I am pretty sure I will subscribe again within few days.. 🥲
Although I had Sony Liv subscription. My family preferred watching TKMOC and TKSS on youtube. Switching videos is a nightmare as you get every 2 seconds. If you are using YouTube Premium on multiple screens. Shelling out ₹129 isn't much. You can use SmartTube as a free alternative.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock