Windows lost after installing Ubuntu

Newb_Dxer

Reaction score
How to revive Windows and make it as alternative to Ubuntu .
Can any one help ?
Thanks

Use first boot for Windows and second for Ubuntu. That way you can run both. I have tried this way on Windows 7 & 8 but never tried dual boot for Ubantu.

if you want to run ubuntu along with windows you need to install grub loader.
Imp: first install windows and then install ubuntu
If you want to uninstall ubuntu then just delete the ubuntu partition and then follow these steps
  1. Grab a Windows recovery media or installation CD and boot from it. You should see this on a recovery media CD. ...
  2. Open the Command Prompt, then type bootrec /fixmbr into the Command Prompt.
  3. Reboot and boot into Windows
Don't know how you installed as there are different ways (can you share how you install ubuntu this will help in troubleshooting)
I prefer to select something else option and then manually partition the hard drive and then install linux
and you'll be prompt to install grub please select the first boot sector
install-ubuntu-alongside-windows-100599650-orig.png

You can use Linux Grub or Windows bootloader whatever you want.

To dual boot always install windows first. Them Linux in another partition.

Grub will be installed by default by Linux. If you like it they you are good to. But if you prefer modern windows 10 graphical bootloader then use Easybcd to create a boot entry.

Sarkar said:
You can use Linux Grub or Windows bootloader whatever you want.

To dual boot always install windows first. Them Linux in another partition.

Grub will be installed by default by Linux. If you like it they you are good to. But if you prefer modern windows 10 graphical bootloader then use Easybcd to create a boot entry.

:no windows bootloader is only for windows... you'll need grub as linux uses ext filesystem which windows can't detect by default

If you are able to boot ubuntu but not windows 

1. Boot Ubuntu and mount your Windows partition
  2. Run the following on the command line (Ctrl+Alt+t):
    sudo os-prober
  3. If your Windows installation was found, you can run:
    sudo update-grub4
  4. .Note that step 2 is just for your convenience. You could just mount the Windows 7 partition and then run: 
update-grub

sumitroy said:
:no windows bootloader is only for windows... you'll need grub as linux uses ext filesystem which windows can't detect by default

There is nothing like only for Windows. I use graphical Windows 10 bootloader to dual boot windows 10 and mint 18.
Like this one where you can use Mouse to select OS instead of up down key

ufdRX.png

You can do it by using Easybcd [emoji6]

Sarkar said:
There is nothing like only for Windows. I use graphical Windows 10 bootloader to dual boot windows 10 and mint 18.
Like this one where you can use Mouse to select OS instead of up down key

You can do it by using Easybcd [emoji6]

By using third party bootloader its possible but not using inbuilt...  :)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock