Discussion Vodafone might exit India

Ashok Varma

Contributor
Reaction score
Vodafone is an established brand in India. Even if the company pulls out, the brand should stay. In Qatar, Vodafone and the Qatar Foundation were partners for the first decade, following which the latter took full control of the Vodafone brand in Qatar in 2018.

It will be a huge loss if the company that gave us ZooZoos and the Vodafone dog decides to leave India. Other European companies like MTS and Telenor tried to establish themselves in India and failed miserably. However Telenor has been very successful in Bangladesh (as Grameenphone) and Pakistan (as Telenor Pakistan). There was also Orange in the early 2000s in Mumbai before it merged with Hutch and later became Vodafone.

Vodafone was the only European telecom brand to be successful in India. I sincerely hope it does not quit. 🙏

Last edited:
With Vodafone exiting. Nice opportunity for Verizon to buy out both Vodafone and Idea. And rebrand Vodafone Idea to their own company in India.
Regarding why I gave an Angry reaction to your post, I do not think it is appropriate for an American company to suddenly enter a new market. Verizon is unknown outside the US, unlike AT&T which is known as the owner of WarnerMedia, a global media company.

Also, Axiata of Malaysia is a minority owner in Vodafone-Idea. It might exit as well.

It's Hutch that gave us the dog bro. Vodafone just continued using pugs for ads. I still remember the you and I in this beautiful world ad from Hutch. One of the best ads ever.
I know that Hutch introduced the pug in 2003 and Vodafone (which was renamed from Hutch in 2007) inherited it. Later, to establish a new face for the company, combined with the fact that it was an IPL sponsor, it introduced the ZooZoos.
1057_200851_Print_inside_529x529.jpg

I don't think it's suddenly. The got license from DoT back in February.
Breaking News - Verizon coming to India, DoT gives license
That is only as an MVNO, not a full network.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock