Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Ashwani Jindal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 175
  • Views Views: Views 22,014
I don't like the back fingerprint! One reason not to buy it!

This is the Samsung Galaxy S8, launching on March 29

Samsung Galaxy S8

Ahead of Samsung Galaxy S8's unveil on March 29, massive leaks from German tech site WinFuture, prolific leakster Evan Blass and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo have given us almost everything we need to know about the company's upcoming flagship smartphone.

While rumours ahead of official launch events have become commonplace these days, leaks on such a massive scale are unprecedented. By piecing all the leaks and rumours together, we can get a pretty comprehensive understanding of what the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ will be bringing to the table in two days time.

The Galaxy S8 will come with an Iris sensor at the front
Both smartphones are set to come with stereo speakers with the earpiece being used as a second speaker, circa iPhone 7. The Galaxy S8 will come with a 3,000mAh battery, while the Galaxy S8+ will feature a bigger 3,500mAh battery. Both smartphones will come with fast charging and wireless charging support.

What should come as a relief to many is the fact that Samsung is retaining the 3.5mm jack in the S8/S8+ inspite of shifting from microUSB to USB Type-C for charging and data transfer.

Rumours pointing to a 6GB RAM + 128GB internal storage variant of the Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ have been doing the rounds of the internet for quite some time now and a now a new rumor claims that the 6GB model will only be available in China.

Display
The Galaxy S8 will come with a 5.8' Super AMOLED display. The Galaxy S8+ is set to come with the exact same specifications as the S8 but with a much bigger 6.2' screen. This is a huge bump from the 5.1' screen on the Galaxy S7 and 5.5' display on the Galaxy S7 Edge.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 will sport a radical near bezel-less design with dual curved edges

Both smartphones will have curved OLED displays with a new ultra-wide 18:5:9 aspect ratio which leads to a resolution of 2960x2400. However, leaks claim that despite the theoretical WQHD+ resolution, both smartphones will ship with 1080p displays in order to conserve battery life.

Security
The fingerprint sensor has been relocated to the rear (alongside the rear camera) and will support gesture recognition including programmable gestures for opening applications.

Samsung Galaxy S8 leaks in all its glory, launching on March 29

RE: This is the Samsung Galaxy S8, launching on March 29

Where is the source link bro :huh
Also why are you posting full article :huh Post only summary with source link always :k

SarfaRaZ said:
Where is the source link bro :huh
Also why are you posting full article :huh Post only summary with source link always :k

Updated :tup

I think one thread is enough?

Link Removed

Samsung galaxy S8 and S8+ Launched

The Samsung Galaxy S8 is the nicest phone I’ve ever held. It’s a beautiful combination of glass, metal, and an absolutely massive screen in a body that’s much smaller than you might expect.

And that might not be enough to make it stand out anymore.

There are two versions of the S8: the standard Galaxy S8 with a 5.8-inch screen and the larger S8 Plus with a 6.2-inch screen. Both are available for preorder on March 30th and will be shipping in the US on April 21st. Pricing, as always with Samsung, is up to the carriers — but you can expect them to command a premium price. The early word is that it will start at $750.

Here’s everything we learned about these two phones after using them for an hour or two last week.

Galaxy S8 hardware

Holding the S8, I’m struck by the fact that nothing about it feels especially surprising, and not just because damn near everything about it has been leaking for the past few months. The boldest feature is every phone’s more important feature: the screen. On the S8, it extends up and down to cover nearly the entire front of the phone. It also curves around the left and right, something Samsung is calling the “infinity display,” which gives it the look of not having any bezels at all. And speaking of curves, the four corners of the screen are also slightly curved instead of squared-off, which adds some elegance and perhaps some screen durability.

The S8 and S8 Plus fulfill Samsung’s promise of fitting a big screen in a smaller body, and so they’re quite a bit more usable than other large-screened phones. I didn’t experience some of the accidental touch issues that I still get with the Galaxy S7 Edge. But I also only had about an hour with the phone, so it’s possible that it could still be an issue.

More than anything else, the S8 is nice. It may seem like table stakes in 2017, but these phones are incredibly well-designed. There are no seams, only the barest of camera bumps, and everything seems milled down to sub-millimeter tolerances. They feel inevitable in a way that almost becomes boring. Many of the design touches are evolutions of the S7 Edge and Note 7, but refined to their Platonic ideals.

Extending the screen to near the bottom of the phone means that there’s no room for Samsung’s traditional hardware home button. Instead, it uses software buttons like other Android phones. It also uses some haptic feedback like Apple’s iPhones to create a virtual feeling of pressing a home button, though it only works on the very specific spot where the software home button appears. One neat feature: some Android apps hide those main Android buttons when they go full screen, but you can still firmly press the bottom of the screen to activate the home button.

SAMSUNG BORROWS FORCE TOUCH FROM THE IPHONE, AT LEAST FOR THE HOME BUTTON

Getting rid of the physical home button also means that Samsung had to move the fingerprint sensor. It’s on the back now, right next to the camera. That’s not a very convenient place for it, honestly. It’s too high up on the phone to comfortably reach and it’s also right next to the camera module, which might mean you’l be getting fingerprints on the camera more often than you’d like.

Speaking of fingerprints, because the S8 is nearly all glass, you’ll see them on the back a lot, but they’re not as prominent as you might expect (they’re worse on the LG G6, for example).

Both the USB-C port and the 3.5mm headphone jack (hallelujah) are located on the bottom of the phone. You have power on one side and volume buttons on the other, underneath which you’ll find a whole new button that’s dedicated to the big new software feature on the Galaxy S8, Bixby. There’s much more on Bixby below, but for now I’ll just note that dedicating a hardware button to this software feature is a big bet on Samsung’s intelligent assistant. If Bixby ends up being not that great, I expect many people will be looking for ways to remap that extra hardware button (or decrying that it’s vestigial).

Galaxy S8 Specs

Processor

US: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa core (2.35 GHz Quad + 1.yGHZ Quad)International: Samsung Exynos Octa core (2.35 GHz Quad + 1.9GHZ Quad)

Display

Galaxy S8: 5.8-inch OLED, 2960 x 1440, 570ppiGalaxy S8 Plus: 6.2-inch OLED, 2960 x 1440, 529ppi

Cameras

Rear: 12-megapixel, OIS, F1.7Front: 8-megapixel, auto focus, F1.7

Batteries

Galaxy S8: 3,000 mAhGalaxy S8 Plus: 3,500 mAh

Dimensions

Galaxy S8: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm, 155gGalaxy S8 Plus: 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm, 173g

Other specs

Android 7.0 NougatUSB-C, 3.5mm headphone jackNFC and MST for Samsung PayIP68 water and dust resistantWireless chargingLTE Cat.16Bluetooth 5.0, can stream to two devicesWi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac

As you’d expect, the S8 has the best specs you can get on an Android phone. Depending on the region, you’ll either get Qualcomm’s newest (and slightly rarer) Snapdragon 835 or Samsung’s own Exynos. In both cases, Samsung is touting that they’re built on a 10nm chip, which should theoretically help with power consumption. In my brief time with it, everything was whip-fast. Hopefully it will stay that way over time — Samsung phones often don’t.

The standard S8 has a 570ppi 5.8-inch screen, with a resolution of 2960 x 1440. The S8 Plus has the exact same resolution on its 6.2-inch screen, which works out to 529ppi. For my money, the standard S8 is the way to go. It still feels like a massive screen and the body is significantly smaller. The height of the screen is interesting, too: the aspect ratio is a super-tall 18.5:9, which adds a bunch of screen real estate to scroll through. I didn’t get to test a bunch of third-party apps, so hopefully we won’t see too much weirdness with the new aspect ratio. Even if we do, Galaxy phones are popular enough to prod developers to update their apps to support it.

In terms of other specs, it’s pretty bog standard stuff: 4 gigs of RAM, 64 gigs of onboard storage, and an expandable SD card slot.

Galaxy S8 battery

Nearly 900 words in and I haven’t made an exploding phone joke (you’re welcome, Samsung). But now is the time to point out that the last time the phone maker released a phone this big and beautiful, it literally set itself on fire on a disturbingly regular basis. The company’s responses to this issue were botched and bad for some time before it pivoted, apologized, and introduced a new process for checking battery safety. Those safety checks are important, but Samsung still has to own all the exploding phone jokes and hear them at every mention of its phones for a while.

So on the S8, Samsung did not push the envelope when it comes to capacity. The S8 has a 3,000mAh battery and the S8 Plus has a larger 3,500mAh battery — the same capacity that the Note 7 had. But neither is especially large when you consider the fact that they need to power towering screens. Samsung claims it has tweaked the battery chemistry to help the batteries last longer after a year or two of use.

To make up for it, Samsung is offering the usual suite of power options: Qualcomm Quick Charge and support for both major wireless charging standards. But I still have reservations about how long the batteries will last on these phones. In fact, it may be a reason to seriously consider getting the larger S8 Plus.

Samsung galaxy S8 and S8+ Launched

ad99cdcf3786099b68d7130515c02194.jpg

RE: Samsung galaxy S8 and S8+ Launched

Sriyans Sharma said:
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is the nicest phone I’ve ever held. It’s a beautiful combination of glass, metal, and an absolutely massive screen in a body that’s much smaller than you might expect.

You bought it?

Back
Top Bottom