OTF Exclusive Pan India 2023 Spectrum holding chart

• Thread starter Basil
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 191
  • Views: Views 45,487
The Spectrum cap for n78/n77 is 148 MHz so 150 MHz can't be held by any single operator.

Millimetre wave spectrum will be used by telecom operators for catering to the enterprise segment to set up Captive Wireless Private Networks (CWPNs) in the B2B model in a limited commercial complex area and not for the end user devices in B2C model, since the number of towers required for achieving blanket 5G coverage across a city (leave alone an entire circle) using such high frequency spectrum will make it unviable at least in the early years.
So the lack of end user devices supporting mm band spectrum isn't a deterrent for telcos to bid for this spectrum, but yes if DoT accepts TRAI's recommendation of administratively alloting mm wave spectrum to private companies directly for setting up the CWPNs in a limited geographic area within a city, bypassing the telcos, then they may see no commercial use case in bidding for the spectrum at a circle level in the Auction.
Will Jio buy 700Mhz spectrum in this auction or will it wait for 600Mhz for it to get used for mobile services, I mean to say band name, like you mentioned n72? I am asking this because TMobile has this band since 2017 and it has superior coverage on this band wherever its deployed. 700Mhz should have been bought earlier to get it utilized(Ecosystem was developed for n28 as well as 4G) but price was to high.

Will Jio buy 700Mhz spectrum in this auction or will it wait for 600Mhz for it to get used for mobile services, I mean to say band name, like you mentioned n72? I am asking this because TMobile has this band since 2017 and it has superior coverage on this band wherever its deployed. 700Mhz should have been bought earlier to get it utilized(Ecosystem was developed for n28 as well as 4G) but price was to high.
Chances are they might consider picking 10 MHz Pan India in 700 MHz band and skip 600 till it's standardised. But then we never know they might have other plans and get the 600 MHz in advance to get an upper hand over other operators. We will know soon enough in the next 3 months hopefully.

Chart updated with the following changes:

1) Millimetre-wave spectrum availability updated from 24.25-28.5 to 24.25-27.5 GHz (As DoT has decided against auctioning spectrum between 27.5-28.5 GHz as it may cause interference with earth-stations of satellites)

2) Spectrum caps added for mid-band and millimetre-wave spectrum

3) New sheets added for total Sub-GHz and Supra-GHz spectrum holding of private operators (spectrum cap column is left blank for now, and will be filled upon release of NIA for auction 22)

In the chart jio bought 850mhz spectrum for kerala in 2021 as far as I know they have 850 mhz deployed even before 2021 how do they deployed 850 mhz if they didn't have the spectrum license before 2021?

In the chart jio bought 850mhz spectrum for kerala in 2021 as far as I know they have 850 mhz deployed even before 2021 how do they deployed 850 mhz if they didn't have the spectrum license before 2021?
They had spectrum that they had bought from Rcom and were also sharing it with them. That was the spectrum that they were using before and it expired in 2021 and then Jio bought it freshly in the 2021 auction and now it owns it independently of Rcom.

Changelog:
1) Spectrum chart updated with spectrum being put up for auction in July 2022 across all bands.
2) Spectrum cap details for sub GHz, Supra GHz, mid-band and mm-wave band spectrum updated. (40%of total available spectrum in each category)
3) Spectrum availability in 3.5 GHz band has reduced from 370 MHz to 330 MHz across all circles
4) Spectrum availability of 26 GHz band has reduced from 3250 MHz to 2850 MHz across all circles
5) Spectrum availability of 700 MHz band has reduced from 30 MHz to 25 MHz across all circles
6) Spectrum availability of 600 MHz band has reduced from 40 MHz to 30 MHz across all circles.
7) Spectrum availability of 850 MHz band has been increased to 20 MHz in 19 circles and 15 MHz in 3 circles.
8) Spectrum availability of 1800 MHz band increased to 65 MHz in 3 circles and 70 MHz in 2 circles while the remaining 17 circles continue to be at 55 MHz.

Changelog:
1) Spectrum chart updated with spectrum being put up for auction in July 2022 across all bands.
2) Spectrum cap details for sub GHz, Supra GHz, mid-band and mm-wave band spectrum updated. (40%of total available spectrum in each category)
3) Spectrum availability in 3.5 GHz band has reduced from 370 MHz to 330 MHz across all circles
4) Spectrum availability of 26 GHz band has reduced from 3250 MHz to 2850 MHz across all circles
5) Spectrum availability of 700 MHz band has reduced from 30 MHz to 25 MHz across all circles
6) Spectrum availability of 600 MHz band has reduced from 40 MHz to 30 MHz across all circles.
7) Spectrum availability of 850 MHz band has been increased to 20 MHz in 19 circles and 15 MHz in 3 circles.
8) Spectrum availability of 1800 MHz band increased to 65 MHz in 3 circles and 70 MHz in 2 circles while the remaining 17 circles continue to be at 55 MHz.
What happened to 5MHz BW in 700MHz band and 10MHz BW in 600 Band?

What happened to 5MHz BW in 700MHz band and 10MHz BW in 600 Band?
DoT is not that transparent with these things, they are not mentioned in the NIA. If any of the telecom operators raises a query regarding this then DoT will reply in the clarification release, but it will not respond to the common man. I have even filed an RTI couple of times for these matters but DoT never responds clearly like TRAI does. DoT is only answerable to TRAI.
My initial guess was that it might be reserved for BSNL for 5G launch but then looking at the spectrum caps it is clear that is not the case, the spectrum would be reserved for non-commercial usage by entities like Railways or Defence.

So still Jio can buy 130Mhz at the max.

Spectrum availability of 26 GHz band has reduced from 3250 MHz to 2850 MHz across all circles
So 1000Mhz max.

Spectrum availability of 700 MHz band has reduced from 30 MHz to 25 MHz across all circles
More competition in this band from Airtel as it's ecosystem is developed already.

Band name decided?
So Jio Mumbai can have 20Mhz and 10Mhz+10Mhz CA. But don't know which phone supports it.
Airtel can have 10Mhz in Maharashtra circle.
Spectrum availability of 1800 MHz band increased to 65 MHz in 3 circles and 70 MHz in 2 circles
So Kerala can deploy 3C even if they acquire band 3 5Mhz?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock