Nothing phone (1)

To be frank, these tech youtubers, who missed the review unit, actually missed NOTHING.

I hate unnecessarily flashy / flashing things. Some say its good for informing the notifications. But the Asus implementation in 8z is (tiny notification LED near USB TypeC port) much better, imho. The phone reminds the Private City buses with too many flashy lights or the good old Glowing Toy Phones.

Transparent back will look great (as seen in JerryRig videos). But this phone back looks more like translucent, since it hides all the interesting things in an uninteresting way. Further this is not the first phone to do this, to be praised as innovation. I think some xiaomi phone has done this earlier (explorer or whatever name).

For a new comer, especially for the asking price, they should have included all important accessories like case, earphones, charger, pre-applied screen guard, etc. But they have the audacity to remove the charger in the box. They should have at the very least included a super slim GaN fast charger (with foldable point) in that slim box to troll the biggies (to prove fast charger can be included in slim packages as well), instead they joined those anti-consumer gang, during their first phone launch itself. Seeing this company, flipkart also wants to join the party with Rs29 extra packaging charges for this 35k phone delivery.

Major OS update of 3 years and 4 years of security updates is great. But the fine-print says the security updates come once every two months. Well over-hyping and conditions apply style false claiming are bhai-bhai. This applies to their claim of the soo many service centers as well.

Looks like the HDFC CB is for EMI transactions only (I may be wrong, but those offer is full of marketing words that makes it hard to understand).

Regarding the good things, it supports NavIC, Wifi 6e, 4x4 MiMo (lets hope its true), Hybrid Slot, uniform bordered display, metal frame body, clean ad free software, etc.

I am NOT saying it is a bad phone. My point is, over hyping is always NOT good for end consumers, but it is a really really easy way to build a brand and sadly this world is full of su(kers who buy the hype.

Mr Carl thinks that he is the true competition to Apple. But one thing is for sure, the sales will reach the sky, once his legs touch the earth.
4*4MIMO is true(3CA on Jio). Its on 5G bands as well. I guess. We will see once it launches.

According to me, the rear LED lights are totally a gimmick. Which you will forget about after a few days. Instead of that, they could have priced it ₹2-3k cheaper.

Keeping that aside, I feel the phone is actually good. And the pricing is also pretty decent. It gets the basics right. They didn't cheap out on the necessary stuff. Processor is not always everything. There's something called overall user experience. If someone wants the best processor, they can go for other cheaper options.
If Google launched a Pixel with the same specs at ₹45-50k, people would've gone crazy. Other than that, there's also Moto Edge 30 at ₹30k with much inferior specs like Camera, lower battery capacity, no wireless charging, etc. At that time, everyone was chanting about user experience and clean UI. What happened now? Also, has everyone forgot about Galaxy A52s, A73, etc? 😂

Personally if you ask me, I wouldn't go with the Phone (1). Solely because of the LED lights. If it were a regular back, I would've definitely gone for it.

Other than that, there's also Moto Edge 30 at ₹30k with much inferior specs like Camera, lower battery capacity, no wireless charging, etc. At that time, everyone was chanting about user experience and clean UI.
Edge 30 6 GB VARIANT was always been around 28k, now you can get it for 26k... Wireless Charging isn't a necessity at all. The charger brick is worth ₹2500 for nothing, and Moto Ships a charger with same rating in the box.. Coming to the innovation, Ready for isn't a gimmick like Nothing did, and it's actually useful for people... The Clean UI experience and others you have mentioned minus the wireless charging is same for moto edge 30 to be frank. Camera performance might not be as optimised for moto compared to Nothing Phone 1 but it's decent...

Without the hype I don't think anyone would have cared for this device if its released by anyone other manufacturers... It's only hype...

I was waiting to see what innovations they did with the phone, apart from that gimmick leds at the back, literally nothing.. They got the basics right, so what, Moto gets basics right for every other phone they launch.. So, I would take Moto Edge 30 over nothing anytime now.

Last edited:
To be frank, these tech youtubers, who missed the review unit, actually missed NOTHING.

I hate unnecessarily flashy / flashing things. Some say its good for informing the notifications. But the Asus implementation in 8z is (tiny notification LED near USB TypeC port) much better, imho. The phone reminds the Private City buses with too many flashy lights or the good old Glowing Toy Phones.

Transparent back will look great (as seen in JerryRig videos). But this phone back looks more like translucent, since it hides all the interesting things in an uninteresting way. Further this is not the first phone to do this, to be praised as innovation. I think some xiaomi phone has done this earlier (explorer or whatever name).

For a new comer, especially for the asking price, they should have included all important accessories like case, earphones, charger, pre-applied screen guard, etc. But they have the audacity to remove the charger in the box. They should have at the very least included a super slim GaN fast charger (with foldable point) in that slim box to troll the biggies (to prove fast charger can be included in slim packages as well), instead they joined those anti-consumer gang, during their first phone launch itself. Seeing this company, flipkart also wants to join the party with Rs29 extra packaging charges for this 35k phone delivery.

Major OS update of 3 years and 4 years of security updates is great. But the fine-print says the security updates come once every two months. Well over-hyping and conditions apply style false claiming are bhai-bhai. This applies to their claim of the soo many service centers as well.

Looks like the HDFC CB is for EMI transactions only (I may be wrong, but those offer is full of marketing words that makes it hard to understand).

Regarding the good things, it supports NavIC, Wifi 6e, 4x4 MiMo (lets hope its true), Hybrid Slot, uniform bordered display, metal frame body, clean ad free software, etc.

I am NOT saying it is a bad phone. My point is, over hyping is always NOT good for end consumers, but it is a really really easy way to build a brand and sadly this world is full of su(kers who buy the hype.

Mr Carl thinks that he is the true competition to Apple. But one thing is for sure, the sales will reach the sky, once his legs touch the earth.

This is not just about Nothing company or Phone bro. They just used the Nothing Phone 1 launch as an opportunity to raise their voices. Companies are ignoring south state languages, and someone even said south people can't afford it.

C4etech's Ash received the Nothing Phone because he has an English channel, yesterday night he posted a short supporting the Dear Nothing trend from his Tamil channel.

Samsung ignored them for the Fold series, Oneplus ignored them for 6 and for 6T Telugu channel person had to message someone and say not to invite them again for the events etc and only after that he got the device, Asus ignored them for ROG 6, Nothing for Phone 1 etc.

----

When it comes to the device, I completely agree with you. True competition to Apple? Lol, they said the same thing when Oneplus launched. Instead of becoming the next Apple or a true competition to Apple, they became the next Samsung/competition to Samsung by releasing too many devices and high-end models being costly just like Samsung.

I think this phone's uniqueness is only the glyph interface and I am not sure how it is a major selling point of the device.

I guess nothing's phone 1 depends entirely on the glyph interface. I feel those lights in public might create attention which is unwanted for most mobile users. Why should others know when you get messages or calls.? I know we can customize it, but still.

I know they wanted to start with a small design change without being too drastic. I hope future phones offer something that really standsout from others.

3FWwnhO.jpg

who is target for this NOTHING ?
anyone here thinking to go for this? not asking for "who is going to buy?"

The back looks like a bulky gaming case with lights! It's hilarious 🤣
After your post only na i get to know that's the back case of this mobile till that i was thinking that it's a without back case mobile design 🤣

who is target for this NOTHING ?
anyone here thinking to go for this? not asking for "who is going to buy?"
I was actually sure of buying it.

But now, I have paused my decision.

Mainly because of the price and processor (at that price).

The lights now seem gimmicky to me.

If it came in at about 25-27k, I would have bought it instantly.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock