Nightmare before Christmas for Martinez

Reaction score
Manager Roberto Martinez fears that Wigan Athletic face a 'month of death' in December.

The Latics had reason to celebrate on the final day of last season as a victory over Stoke City secured their Barclays Premier League survival for another year.

Martinez is looking forward to the 2011/12 campaign, when their first three opponents will be promoted clubs Norwich City, Swansea City and Queens Park Rangers.

However, things appear to get much tougher before the turn of the year with a series of games against the league's top teams in December.

Wigan take on Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion, Chelsea and Liverpool before travelling to champions Manchester United on Boxing Day and finishing 2011 at Stoke.

"December is becoming a little bit a month of death," Martinez admitted.

"It's such a combination of fantastic teams that we'll have to face.

"But we're really excited about the way we finished the season and we can't wait for the opening games."

Wigan's first away match of the season is against Martinez's former club Swansea, where the Spaniard spent time as both a player and a manager.

"I've got strong links with the club," he explained.

"I was one of the first foreigners to be captain and we moved to the new stadium.

"They were big moments and I am looking forward to it."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2385684,00.html

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock