Lee backs Clarke to do a 'terrific job'

Reaction score
Brett Lee has said Australian cricket is in good hands with new captain Michael Clarke and that he expects former captain Ricky Ponting to still play a major role in the side after shedding the burden of leadership.

"Obviously, Michael Clarke has a great cricket brain; he's proven that when he's been vice-captain," Lee told the Sunday Telegraph. "He's the type of guy I think will do a terrific job for Australia.

"It's not like he's been thrust into the limelight now. He's had the guidance of Ricky Ponting and been vice-captain for a couple of years; he knows his game very well and the guys very well. He's respected by the guys so I think he'll do a great job - and full credit to Ricky Ponting to put his hand up to want to keep going and play cricket."

Lee said Ponting's ability is beyond question and so long as he has the drive to keep going, "he'll go on to bigger and better things as far as his batting goes."

Australia are currently in a process of transition in the wake of Ponting's decision to step down as captain and while Lee has retired from Test cricket, he has every intention of being part of the one-day set-up. "I retired from Test cricket a few years ago in order to prolong my one-day career, and the signs are good as far as the way I bowled during the World Cup. I was really happy with my performance there and happy with the way the body responded.

"I obviously want to play this Australian summer, I want to go to Sri Lanka in eight weeks and go to the Champions League and go to South Africa ... but it's about ticking off the little things. I'll give myself a week or two off from training, do some light gym work and get my running up."

Lee recently turned out for the Kolkata Knight Riders in the IPL and was full of praise for his team-mate James Pattinson, tipping him to force his way into the Test team this summer. "We've got some young guys coming through. I think James Pattinson is going to be a really good find for Australia. He was with me at Kolkata Knight Riders while I was overseas. I think he'll definitely play Test cricket this year."

He also asked the fans to be patient as Australia beings a new era after 15 years of unparalleled success. "We're going through a transitional phase and it's important that people realise that. You know we haven't got Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Matty [Matthew] Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martin."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/517114.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock