Seeking Help Laptop Hard Drive:- Western Digital vs Seagate

Harshit

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I have a 5 year old Sony Vaio Laptop (SVE15123CNW). It came with Original Windows 8 and I have upgraded it to Windows 10 two years earlier. From January 2018 it started giving issues some times like sudden freezing, Hard Disk 100%,etc. and from February begining it was used to get hanged every time i switched it On. So i decided to do a factory reset to windows 8. After resetting successfully the problem still persisted. Then suddenly a week earlier it showed me S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive error eerytime while switching the laptop On. Then I understood that it was the Hard drive which is the culprit. I some how managed to Back up my Important Files and also Created a Recovery Drive in my pen drive. And then the next day as expected my Hard Drive failed totally.

So I started searching in Computer stores in city for a good 500GB Hard Drive. But after visiting almost a dozen stores I found only Toshiba Hard Drives and in one store HGST was available. My brother had very poor experience with Toshiba so I ignored Toshiba. Then I started searching online and shortlisted the following two Hard drives on amazon.in

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B013QFRZL2/?tag=dreamdth-21

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01LZY5T8Y/?tag=dreamdth-21

But i am totally confused between WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda. So I need you guys help. The only difference i found is Seagate Barracuda is have 128MB Cache (Disk Buffer) while WD Blue is having 16MB Cache(Disk Buffer). I am also uploading the pic of my old Hard Disk that came pre installed with my laptop for your reference.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Both are good so buy anyone. I would go with WD only because my previous WD is still running fine after 10 years. But that doesn't mean Seagate is bad. Both are good brand

Thanks Sarkar Bro. I was also thinking to go for WD but difference in cache memory 16MB vs 128MB will matter in performance

Thanks Sarkar Bro. I was also thinking to go for WD but difference in cache memory 16MB vs 128MB will matter in performance

Does not matter. Remember general processor cache is 3 times lower than WD value, topically 3-4 MB, high-end i7 processor has cache 8 MB. And you cannot read or write without the help of processor.

It's like if you want maximum water flow you need wide pipe from start to end, just replacing one narrow pipe with wide pipe and leaving all other narrow pipes are in system will not allow you to push more water through pipe.

So unless AMD/Intel build chips with more cache that 128 is just a showcase number because we humans love big numbers

Sarkar bro you cleared all my doubts. I am having 3rd Generation i3 processor.
Will Order WD Hard Drive today.
Thanks Again
:tup::kiss::cheers:

Last edited:
Sarkar bro you cleared all my doubts. I am having 3rd Generation i3 processor.
Will Order WD Hard Drive today.
Thanks Again
:tup::kiss::cheers:
Just curious, why do you want to stick to a 500gb HDD? If I were you, when upgrading/updating, I would go with a bigger capacity HDD if within my price limits.
Take a look at this: 1TB at 3.7K.. : https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01LY3Q201/?tag=dreamdth-21

Just curious, why do you want to stick to a 500gb HDD? If I were you, when upgrading/updating, I would go with a bigger capacity HDD if within my price limits.
Take a look at this: 1TB at 3.7K.. : https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01LY3Q201/?tag=dreamdth-21

Firstly, the laptop came installed with 500GB Hard Drive and i never faced any shortage of Space till today.
Secondly, As now i am prefering WD, WD's 1 TB Hard drive costs over 4k.
Lastly I am on a little tight budget otherwise I would have gone for the SSD.

Firstly, the laptop came installed with 500GB Hard Drive and i never faced any shortage of Space till today.
Same i too felt. I was using 500 GB HDD in my old PC, after i bought new PC i got 1 TB HDD which i never needed. All i needed was performance, so replaced it with a 500 GB Samsung Pro 850 SSD last year. I am yet to fill half part of the SSD. These days hardly anyone stores movies and large files on PC since many things can be kept in cloud these days.

1 TB is too much for one user who does not use pirated things. (Like me) :p

Same i too felt. I was using 500 GB HDD in my old PC, after i bought new PC i got 1 TB HDD which i never needed. All i needed was performance, so replaced it with a 500 GB Samsung Pro 850 SSD last year. I am yet to fill half part of the SSD. These days hardly anyone stores movies and large files on PC since many things can be kept in cloud these days.

1 TB is too much for one user who does not use pirated things. (Like me) :p

Specially when Mukesh Ji is giving 71 GB cloud storage absolutely free

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock