Kochi boy sells maxchanzuckerberg.org domain to Facebook for $700

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
A 21-year boy Amal Augustine from Kochi made a small fortune as he sold a domain name to Facebook that was named after Mark Zuckerberg’s daughter Maxima. Amal received an email from Sarah Kim of ICONIQ Capital, the company which manages the riches of Facebook’s founder Mark Zuckerberg .

Facebook offered buying the domain name ‘maxchanzuckerberg.org’ which Amal owned and had acquired in December last year.

Facebook acquired the domain name maxchanzuckerberg.org on Monday for $700.

The domain name is said to be the short form of Maxime Chan Zuckerberg, the name of Mark Zuckerberg’s daughter. What can be called as a smart move, Amal brought the domain maxchanzuckerberg.org the same day as Mark Zuckerberg announced the birth of his daughter Maxima Chan Zuckerberg on December 1 and also pledged to give away his 99 percent of shares in the company to charity.

Commenting on the same, Amal Augustine told ToI, “I had earlier also bought some domains, but this is the first time someone has approached me for buying one of them and it was indeed a big one,”.

“They asked me what my purchase amount is and I said $700, thinking they would agree for at least $500. To my surprise, they agreed for the amount which I demanded. In fact, my friends later told me I could have made a better deal. But, this is my first deal and I have no regrets,” he further added.

ICONIQ Capital approached Amal through domain buying site GoDaddy and later mailed him showing interest in purchasing the domain. Some reports also claims that Amal has bought several domains names and then waited for people to approach them to buy it. However ‘maxchanzuckerberg.com’ was the first domain name he sold.

The maxchanzuckerberg.org now redirects to http://www.chanzuckerberg.com, which features details about Facebook’s Chan Zuckerberg initiative. “Our hopes for the future center on two ideas: advancing human potential and promoting equality. We’ll focus first on personalized learning, curing disease, connecting people and building strong communities,” says the website.

Interestingly, maxchanzuckerberg.com still exists. The website has a quirky message for Mark Zuckerberg – “PS: If you are Mark Z. I’ll give it for $0.00. WHOIS me and drop a line…dad 2 dad.” According to who.is, this domain has also been booked via GoDaddy. The domain was booked on December 01, 2015 and is set to expire on December 01, 2016. The domain belongs to a Michael Bodge from New York.

Kochi boy sells maxchanzuckerberg.org domain to Facebook for 0 | Latest Tech News, Video & Photo Reviews at BGR India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock