Seeking Help How to defrag the laptop internal drives in linux and ubuntu ?

1. swap memory is created at the time of installing linux....you it may skip ...as it is not important (PC having 4gb or more ram) but it is important if you have 2gb 3gb or less than that

i. search startup application in ubuntu (More info)
startup_applications_Ubuntu.jpeg

ii. untick or remove any useless startup apps

3. install this and clean junk file: BleachBit

4. don't know about any defrag app

5. yes you can run chromium on lubuntu

just a suggestion ....why don't you try linux mint ....It has both 32 bit and 64 bit ......if your computer is old or you have less ram you can install linux mint 32 bit (you can install chromium) and if your computer have 4gb or more ram then you can install 64 bit (both chromium and chrome is available for 64 bit) ... Choose cinnamon edition of linux mint

Thanks for you help.

Bleachbit is quite different from other cleaners but I have installed it.

Just FYI I am using Dell XPS M1530 laptop with 2.20 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4 GB RAM.
Dell XPS M1530 Specs

When I bought it was one of the best laptops available at that time.It may be considered old now so I have to consider this while installing software.

Is there any software in linux which can password protect /encrypt pdf douments ?

Thanks for you help.

Bleachbit is quite different from other cleaners but I have installed it.

Just FYI I am using Dell XPS M1530 laptop with 2.20 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4 GB RAM.
Dell XPS M1530 Specs

When I bought it was one of the best laptops available at that time.It may be considered old now so I have to consider this while installing software.

Is there any software in linux which can password protect /encrypt pdf douments ?
Bro, everything is great but your laptop graphics is only 128mb which is really low ...
If you use LibreOffice and export a document as PDF (Menu > File > Export as PDF), there's the option to set a password:
68odY.png

Bro, everything is great but your laptop graphics is only 128mb which is really low ...
If you use LibreOffice and export a document as PDF (Menu > File > Export as PDF), there's the option to set a password:
68odY.png
I see.

Thanks for the info about graphics card.I think it is Nvidia 8600M.
Is there any way to increase the graphics ?

I did not know that Libre Office had in built feature of making and encryption of pdf !

Last edited:
I see.

Thanks for the info about graphics card.I think it is Nvidia 8600M.
Is there any way to increase the graphics ?

I did not know that Libre Office had in built feature of making and encryption of pdf !
Bro, according to your Dell XPS M1530 Specs its:
Capture11.png

No Bro, you can't increase graphics memory on a laptop.....

Actually that is general configuration of Dell XPS M1530 laptop.

It was possible to reconfigure the specifications as I bought it direct from Dell Bangalore.

Mine is Nvidia GeForce 8600.
I don't think that its possible to reconfigure specifications of any laptop except ram and hdd... Anyway, if your laptop perform slow even after taking all necessary steps...you can reinstall or use lighter version of linux

may I know what linux you are currently running ?

Lightest of all is Puppy Linux. Whole Linux OS i think is about 200 MB in Size. So whole OS will be in your RAM when PC starts. But I think your Dell XPS M1530 should also run Mint just fine. You can also try Lubuntu

Last edited:
may I know what linux you are currently running ?

Lightest of all is Puppy Linux. Whole Linux OS i think is about 200 MB in Size. So whole OS will be in your RAM when PC starts. But I think your Dell XPS M1530 should also run Mint just fine. You can also try Lubuntu

Pardon my ignorance but please let me know where I can find the version of linux ?
However,I can inform you that I am using Ubuntu 14.04

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock