How to : Install Ubuntu Linux on Your PC

ssparikshya

Reaction score
Introduction

In this place here today, i am going to be showing you HOW TO INSTALL UBUNTU LINUX ON TO YOUR PC

NEEDFUL THINGS

1. A Ubuntu image file
  2. A media to boot from [USB/DVD]
  3. Configuring the bootable device
  4. Backing up your HDD
  5. Configuring the BIOS settings

LET'S BEGIN

Ubuntu image file: You can download the ubuntu 12.04 LTS for 32 bit systems from here and the 64 bit users can get it from here

A media to boot from [USB/DVD]: You need a boot device to boot from that can be a DVD or a USB of more than 2 GB of space.

Configuring the bootable device: for DVD you can get a free program called Img burn from here and do it

For USB , you can get a free program called Universal USB Installer from here

Backing up the HDD: now , please be sure to make a backing up (or cloning) your HDD for any short of data that is very important to you and you want not to lose them. AS ITS (THE HDD ) IS GOING TO BE FORMATTED AND YOU WILL BE LOSING ALL YOUR DATA

Configuring the BIOS settings: this is a very IMPORTANT step , before doing any thing, please change your PC's boot sequence first , to do that you need to get into your PC's BIOS settings , to do that , you need to press a key before your PC boots into your desired OS , just before your boot logo appears , to find out that key , you need your motherboard or laptop's manual .

INSTALLATION TIME

now put your boot able media into your CD Rom or USB port (in case you are using USB Device)

Note: if you are following this article correctly , you should see a Ubuntu 12.04 (or any version you downloaded) on the screen.

after you have verified that you are going correctly , you should follow the rest of the article , otherwise first diagnose it and then proceed.

now you will see this screen
jYcs6mh.jpg

now in this case , we want to install Ubuntu into our PC , so we should now click Install Ubuntu

Now , after sometime you will see this screen

I10KxVs.jpg

now in this screen , i recommend you to check mark all the options in this screen , however if you have a slow connection and a connection with FUP , it should not be checked

Now, after a few seconds you will see this screen

uMFHAfB.png

now in this screen , there is something to pay attention ...

there will two options ,

If you want a PC only with Ubuntu OS , choose the first one otherwise if you want to do modification with your partitions , choose the second one , and if you have any other OS pre-installed in your pc , it will give another option of a Dual boot , choose according to your need

now , after a few moments , you will land into this screen .

ZoUkNZp.png

now its the MOST IMPORTANT part of the installation ,this is about partitions , note down the sizes of your partitions and deal with this screen accordingly and choose the correct HDD to install Ubuntu on

now , after this step all you do is silly things

SBFLhkB.png

now comes the easier part of this whole installation , choose time zone and press enter (should be correct by default)

now , choose keyboard layout for you and press enter

wiZhkNt.png

now tell Ubuntu "Who are you " ? :lol

vdxSk0s.png

and press enter

and now is all your time to wait , watch tv or visit ddf for the time being :lol

gTWCNme.png

hnmMsl9.png

TLfJvkE.png

Hope this tutorial was helpful to you , if you feel that any correction or addition is needed , please feel free to post it here , i will try to amend it ASAP .

Cheers ,
ssparikshya

Next up : how to uninstall Ubuntu Linux from your pc correctly (i did a tut in ddf but couldn't find it :skd) (after my exams , i will be back with that tut again :huh

For Ubuntu 13 or higher your method is ok :k
But I think for Ubuntu 12 WUBI is the easiest method to install. No need to format Hard drive, no partitioning required nothing complex. Just install Ubuntu as a software in Windows. When u don't like it just uninstall from control pannel. It's so easy. :eek:hya:eek:hya

ssparikshya said:
Wubi is bit to try , i dont like it personally. so i prefer grub boot
But ultimately u are getting same thing Ubuntu 12 LTS. So for newbie I think Wubi method is the best. Don't know why they drop support for Wubi in Ubuntu 13.

U should tell about installation method on modern UEFI systems as u need to disable secure boot and fast startup.

i prefer this because , if windows crashes , you will have a backup os and is good for virus removal , (tough you can do this live cd , but slowly)

ssparikshya said:
i prefer this because , if windows crashes , you will have a backup os and is good for virus removal , (tough you can do this live cd , but slowly)

Add UEFI system also as it is different from BIOS u need to turn on legacy mode

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock