Seeking Help How to defrag the laptop internal drives in linux and ubuntu ?

I found some tutorials on the internet, however process is not as easy as in Windows.

You can try using e4defrag software which comes with Linux.

linux doesn't need defragmenting
Linux’s ext2, ext3, and ext4 file systems – ext4 being the file system used by Ubuntu allocates files in a more intelligent way. Instead of placing multiple files near each other on the hard disk, Linux file systems scatter different files all over the disk, leaving a large amount of free space between them. When a file is edited and needs to grow, there’s usually plenty of free space for the file to grow into. If fragmentation does occur, the file system will attempt to move the files around to reduce fragmentation in normal use, without the need for a defragmentation utility.
Why Linux Doesn’t Need Defragmenting

linux doesn't need defragmenting
Linux’s ext2, ext3, and ext4 file systems – ext4 being the file system used by Ubuntu allocates files in a more intelligent way. Instead of placing multiple files near each other on the hard disk, Linux file systems scatter different files all over the disk, leaving a large amount of free space between them. When a file is edited and needs to grow, there’s usually plenty of free space for the file to grow into. If fragmentation does occur, the file system will attempt to move the files around to reduce fragmentation in normal use, without the need for a defragmentation utility.
Why Linux Doesn’t Need Defragmenting

OK,

Then why is the laptop slowing down ?

How to increase it's speed ?
Any Tips ?

Last edited:
OK,

Then why is the laptop slowing down ?

How to increase it's speed ?
Any Tips ?
I'm using linux mint on virtual from past one year....its working fine no slow issue and haven't run any defrag tool
There could be any reason of a slow laptop....
1. The main reason of a slow laptop is Ram....if you have less ram then upgrade ram and if you use linux enable swap memory (atleast twice size of your ram)
2. check start up application and disable unnecessary startup apps
3. clean junk files
4. Defrag hdd (you can try if you want it can help)
5. If your laptop is old use lighter version of ubuntu: lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

I'm using linux mint on virtual from past one year....its working fine no slow issue and haven't run any defrag tool
There could be any reason of a slow laptop....
1. The main reason of a slow laptop is Ram....if you have less ram then upgrade ram and if you use linux enable swap memory (atleast twice size of your ram)
2. check start up application and disable unnecessary startup apps
3. clean junk files
4. Defrag hdd (you can try if you want it can help)
5. If your laptop is old use lighter version of ubuntu: lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

Thanks for those tips Bro,

1)How to enable swap memory ?
2)Where are the start ups ?
3)Same question..How to clean junk files in Linux ?
4)Any other app for defragging in linux ?
5)Is it possible to run Chromium browser on Lubuntu as I depend totally on Chrome/Chromium,Google Drive etc ?

Sorry for those queries but I am very new to Linux and Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Thanks for those tips Bro,

1)How to enable swap memory ?
2)Where are the start ups ?
3)Same question..How to clean junk files in Linux ?
4)Any other app for defragging in linux ?
5)Is it possible to run Chromium browser on Lubuntu as I depend totally on Chrome/Chromium,Google Drive etc ?

Sorry for those queries but I am very new to Linux and Ubuntu.
1. swap memory is created at the time of installing linux....you may skip ...as it is not important (PC having 4gb or more ram) but it is important if you have 2gb 3gb or less than that

i. search startup application in ubuntu (More info)
startup_applications_Ubuntu.jpeg

ii. untick or remove any useless startup apps

3. install this and clean junk file: BleachBit

4. don't know about any defrag app

5. yes you can run chromium on lubuntu

just a suggestion ....why don't you try linux mint ....It has both 32 bit and 64 bit ......if your computer is old or you have less ram you can install linux mint 32 bit (you can install chromium) and if your computer have 4gb or more ram then you can install 64 bit (both chromium and chrome is available for 64 bit) ... Choose cinnamon edition of linux mint

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock